Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Using monthly retainers for clients

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    theplastickid
    Participant

Just wondered what your thoughts on this were.

I am thinking of offering a monthly retainer of say $50 a month to my clients to cover all the minor non structural updates and analytic reporting.

Anyone do anything similar?

chrisburton
    Participant

The minor structural updates seem to me as a money grabber. I think you should charge by rate on that.

As for web analytics, I see nothing wrong with charging them for monthly reports as long as it’s professional and you document what is staying the same, what are the changes, etc.

You might even make more using your rates. Crunch the numbers.

theplastickid
    Participant

Yeah I had no set figure and don’t know exactly what I will include in the price was just toying with the idea.

TheDoc

I don’t do it, but I know some people that do. It really depends on the level of support you’re willing to provide to your clients. If I have them on retainer, I feel like they might feel like they are entitled to send me more emails, queries, etc.

theplastickid
    Participant

Well the reason for my thinking of this was that my clients are convinced they own me already lol.

chrisburton
    Participant

Not to sound harsh but that’s your fault. You need to be confident in what you’re doing otherwise business people will destroy you. If you do not want to do something that is completely unfair, speak up and do not give in. I’m assuming they want you to make a lot of changes and since you’re new at this you’re putting your head down and agreeing to it but quickly finding out that is isn’t quite fair.

Do you not have a lawyer?

theplastickid
    Participant

Yeah I am gaining in confidence as time goes on. I don’t have a lawyer whys that?

chrisburton
    Participant

To write up your contacts and to dispute anything that may go wrong. This way you’re both protected.

theplastickid
    Participant

How much would that cost?

chrisburton
    Participant

It depends on the lawyer so contact a few in your area.

You can find some contracts on the web but I was told a lot of them can be useless due to loopholes around them. You’re better off having a custom contract that fits what you need.

theplastickid
    Participant

Thanks that’s defiantly something I’ll look into.

standuncan

@ChristopherBurton, is there a certain type of business lawyer you should be looking for, for this?

chrisburton
    Participant

Some lawyers specialize in contracts but all know how to do it.

tobeeornot

Most lawyers should have an understanding of IP and digital law but like Chris says I would ask them to assess your business and make bespoke contracts according to your needs as a supplier of commercial services.

tobeeornot

BTW – it is worth researching what you want to be protected against and what you want the terms of your service to be. Lawyers may take the slow and more costly path if you don’t provide them with clear direction, too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.