Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Using indesign for website layouts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    drtoast

I’ve been working in web development for about 7 years now and try to stay up-to-date with the most current practices. However, something happened that is leaving me a bit puzzled. Recently one of our clients deliver designs in Adobe indesign files. This seemed strange to me as I have typically thought of indesign as for primarily publication layouts. I did a little bit of digging and found out that indesign is sort of trying to position it’s self as sort of the crossover for print and digital work… or so it seems to me, but i couldn’t find much in way or tutorials.

Does anyone have any insight on this or know of a good resource on where to learn how to leverage indesign the same way as I would typically use photoshop?

TheDoc

I suppose it comes down to person preference, but InDesign is *not* the tool you’ll find the majority of designers using for the web (I’d argue that it’d be less than 1%, but I have no stats to back that up).

Photoshop and Fireworks are Adobe’s offerings in that regard (hell, even Illustrator would be a better choice than InDesign to me).

eristic
    Participant

There’s a lynda.com video series on InDesign for Web Design that made me stop and ponder that for a minute too. InDesign would be a good resource for a text heavy mockups, or mockups where font plays a large roll. But TheDoc is right, there’s a number of Adobe products that would be a much better match.

lucas572

Kind of an aside, but you can get Plug-ins for InDesign that let you make iPad apps! They’re aimed at non-techies though (no coding needed), but it’s interesting how they’re trying to move a print based program to work with the screen too.

chrismyrs

i use indesign for some layouts, especially pdf’s, then photoshop to resample the images for a web friendly pdf.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.