Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Using Dreamweaver to edit LIVE sites…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    vincent

Hey guys… I know people have discussed it before, but I didn’t keep up with the topic so I don’t know if anything came out of it. I want a way to work on a site that is as fast as going into WordPress’ backend when you are editing theme files, where you just edit it and press update or whatever and it’s all instant and you don’t have to save, make sure it will upload to the right directory, then hit upload every time. The only thing that sucks about WordPress’ backend theme editing is things like a lack of syntax highlighting, no tabbing, numbered lines, stuff like that. I just want to have backups of sites on my local computer, not copies used for editing.

Anyone know if Dreamweaver can do this, or what do you use to do this?

Rob MacKay
    Participant

I use notepad++ and its FTP functions – saves "live" as to say :)

vincent

So you have a local copy and when you save it just uploads right? The thing that messes me up if I do it that way is sometimes I have a different file structure on the local site than on the live site so if it automatically uploads, it uploads to some random directory. Like, I use Host Gator, and they have a File Manager thing, it’s just like the WordPress theme editor, you don’t have to have any local file, you just edit it on the server; that would be nice with Dreamweaver :D.

TheDoc

I would never edit a live file and then simply save it. Any edits I do are done locally, then tested locally, then updated to live. Too many mistakes can happen doing everything from live. Then backups get lazy, etc etc.

I use DW and its built in FTP.

vincent

I guess I’ll just keep doing it the normal way :(

Just make sure that your local copy is consistently up to date, or start fresh downloading the entire site using FTP. That way, you won’t have to worry about changes in your directory structure.

As TheDoc said, it really is best to work on your local machine first — it’ll save some embarrassment if you mess up or break the site accidentally. It’s one thing to break a site that is on your local machine and no one can see… it’s another to break a live site that people from all over the world (potentially) may be viewing.

Rob MacKay
    Participant
    "vincent" wrote:
    So you have a local copy and when you save it just uploads right? The thing that messes me up if I do it that way is sometimes I have a different file structure on the local site than on the live site so if it automatically uploads, it uploads to some random directory. Like, I use Host Gator, and they have a File Manager thing, it’s just like the WordPress theme editor, you don’t have to have any local file, you just edit it on the server; that would be nice with Dreamweaver :D.

well technically – Notepad++ "synchronise" So when you connect to the FTP and you open files it downloads them to a folder then edits them, when you save it saved the local file and uploads it instantly. That’s pretty much what all of them do because of the workings of FTP.

As Doc said – most of my editing takes place offline… I only use the live edit for very small changes or tidying up blar blar…

vincent

Well, I don’t usually use a local testing environment for things like WordPress. I like to have a live copy that is online but the whole thing is password protected so the client can still view it but no one else can (including search engines).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.