Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Urgent layout problems

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 152 total)
  • Author
    broomhandle
    Participant

Also, why is this error page acting as if there should be a sidebar, and why is the bottom gap not the same as the other pages? http://www.peterchamberlaincann.co.uk/portfo It has the 5px bottom margin, but not the “paragraph” gap that all the other pages do.

Atelierbram
    Participant

so from that CodePen, what do I want to take?

Have you tried to resize the browser-window and see what happens to the layout?

is this stuff not already set up but with the old margin values? Wouldn’t it be easy to get that and play around with those?

Don’t get quite what you mean by this.

Also, is it at all possible to take the parent and child themes, merge them and create a super theme all of my own?

Yes you can.

Also, why is this error page acting as if …

You can target the styles on that page in the CSS with `.error404 .what-ever { min-height: 600px; }

broomhandle
    Participant

I have tried resizing. It looks good to me, except the blog post headers should be further to the right, and the posts below them.

I’m using .com as the “good” example to compare against: http://peterchamberlaincann.wordpress.com/blog/

broomhandle
    Participant

Okay, sometime before Wednesday, it would be nice to have some guide or something for how to create this mega theme lol. I will have a look round for help later on.

Atelierbram
    Participant

it would be nice to have some guide or something for how to create this mega theme

Well merging the stylesheets, you just have to remove duplicate declarations, but be carefull with the meta comment codeblock at the top of the style.css, WordPress is kind of picky on that. Copy the minimalizine folder that you have now, give it another name, replace the parent-style.css with the merged file, FTP the whole thing up to wherever the other theme lives now. Then from the WordPress admin you should see your new theme which you can choose as your new parent theme now.

broomhandle
    Participant

I have changed the bottom margin (.error404 #primary { padding-bottom: 25px;) but I don’t know which part I need for the page width, I tried .error404 #page {width:720px; } but no dice.

broomhandle
    Participant

Ok I might try that eventually :P Bit risky right now.

Atelierbram
    Participant

I tried .error404 #page {width:720px; } but no dice

Works for me … refresh?

broomhandle
    Participant

Still not.

broomhandle
    Participant

So, I’m baffled by media queries. How can I quickly “set one up” that applies to as much as the site as possible? How do you attach it to the whole site? Etc etc.

Atelierbram
    Participant

For visible confirmation try:

.error404 #page {
     width:720px; 
     background: red;
     }

Atelierbram
    Participant

So, I’m baffled by media queries. How can I quickly “set one up” that applies to as much as the site as possible? How do you attach it to the whole site? Etc etc.

You have to take your time with this, I am afraid. A good place to start would be reading Ethan Marcotte’s famous alistapart’s article on responsive webdesign.

But then look at the CSS in the CodePen’s I made, what I uncommented, and what was added in the media-queries.

Here only .stuff starting-from-not-smaller-than minimal browser-screen-width of 862px, gets a tomato background-color.

@media only screen and ( min-width: 862px ) {

.stuff {
          background: tomato;
        }

}

broomhandle
    Participant

Ok will do. I’ll be back tomorrow probably :D.

Although one thing, what could the explanation be for the tiled galleries being 525px until the page full loads, and they reset to 520?

broomhandle
    Participant

Red background is in there, but there is still a gap on the left where the sidebar should be.

Atelierbram
    Participant

Although one thing, what could the explanation be for the tiled galleries being 525px until the page full loads, and they reset to 520?

Could be so many things, things that I can’t, nor want to debug from here … could be the plugin’s settings, could be error’s in the implementation of the plugin, could be the HTML the plugin spits out, which make the page itself invalid …, the generated CSS, now that I think about it, maybe it’s because the CSS for that comes in later, but who knows …

Will have to see about tomorrow …

Good night.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 152 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.