Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Urgent layout problems

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 152 total)
  • Author
    broomhandle
    Participant

See about you being online? No worries if you’re not, it’s an ongoing project and they’re not going to be picky about these things, the major work is done as far as they’re concerned. Really appreciate the help! :D

I’ve found the 404 fix now.

Atelierbram
    Participant

You’re welcome

still a gap on the left where the sidebar should be.

should be .wide maybe not #page

.error404 .wide {
      width: 100%; 
     }

broomhandle
    Participant

That did not work :P I just did:

float: left;
        width: 720px;
    }

Atelierbram
    Participant

A link to this embedded Gist, for this thread is getting long enough already. It’s a summary for what-was-done-with-the-media-queries in the CodePens, and how that works (, which can also be seen as an outline for a potential blogpost-tutorial).

Links to the markdown file on github, which can be downloaded from there, on bottom of that page.

broomhandle
    Participant

Ok, I’m gonna sidestep that, probably for today.

Site went down well at uni. I think this Blog paragraph is gonna be useful though, cos there’s no way to filter the posts at the moment.

I’ve put a sticky post in, just trying to work out how to remove the sidebar for it, and the hyperlink on the header. And insert a tag list that updates itself! And make sure it’s on every page of the blog!

broomhandle
    Participant

Back again!

I added this code to functions.php:

/**
     * Adjust content width in certain contexts.
     * Adjusts content_width value for full-width and single image attachment
     * templates, and when there are no active widgets in the sidebar.
     * @since Twenty Twelve 1.0
     * @return void
     */
    function minimalizine_content_width() {
            if ( is_page_template( 'page-templates/full-width.php' ) || is_attachment() || ! is_active_sidebar( 'sidebar-1' ) ) {
                    global $content_width;
                    $content_width = 720;
            }
    }
    add_action( 'template_redirect', 'minimalizine_content_width' );

I think modifying that a bit could make it useful, so that for full width pages tiled galleries are 720, while for blog posts they’re 520.

But that additional container or w/e you said is still there taking away the 5px on the right side. If you notice, when this page loads, it’s full 720px, but once it’s finished, it switches to 715px: http://www.peterchamberlaincann.co.uk/portfolio/british-art-show-7-a-journey-through-plymouth/

That code has also had an effect on the YouTube videos, they now fit to 720 which looks awful!

Thinking about it, I would be just as happy with being able to center the tiled galleries instead. The gallery on the “British Art Show 7” is pretty big, it’s a bit extreme!

Atelierbram
    Participant

Hi there

Thinking about it, I would be just as happy with being able to center the tiled galleries instead. The gallery on the “British Art Show 7″ is pretty big, it’s a bit extreme!

You could center the wrapper div’s ( .tiled-gallery) left and right margin to auto, but the problem remains that you have to change the width value in the plugin. Not easy I think, but you found the setting for that earlier, so maybe try to it insert some javascript yourself, and see if that works.

Although, maybe that’s not true, you could try setting the max-width just for this page , maybe that works, and does the javascript’s width change on the fly, but I can’t test that from here, because the .js has already kicked in.

.page-id-470 .tiled-gallery {
      clear: both;
      margin: 0 auto 20px;
      overflow: hidden;
      max-width: 520px;
    }

broomhandle
    Participant

I’ve put that in now, the functions stuff is still in, dunno if it’s had the desired effect otherwise?

broomhandle
    Participant

The only thing I can see that looks a little weird is that the images shrink ever so slightly in height once the page fully loads. Don’t know if that’s normal or not.

Atelierbram
    Participant

Was very doubtful about whether that would work, but it did, nice.

images shrink ever so slightly in height once the page fully loads

don’t really see this

Supposedly you want to rescale the iframe for the youtube video also?

BTW, looks like the width and height values are hardcoded in the HTML, can’t see from here though …

Can make video fluid, best option probably javascript/jQuery

updated tiled-gallery.js with fluid video snippets

Am checking out now, … later maybe ….

broomhandle
    Participant

I think it would look better if the gallery was scaled up to match the YT video. Wouldn’t help for the blog though.

How can I apply the same to all the blog posts and pages?

Atelierbram
    Participant

Yes, see my reply above, make the video fluid, to be within the container, for now it peeps out, because of the iFrame.

I think it would look better if the gallery was scaled up to match the YT video. Wouldn’t help for the blog though. How can I apply the same to all the blog posts and pages?

So having this javascript snippet to do the rescaling of the video for you, allows you to set the max-width for the .tiled-gallery on each page/blogpost just the way you want, ( with those conditional body classes like: .page-id-470 for this british-art-show page )

broomhandle
    Participant

I don’t want the videos part of the gallery though?

Atelierbram
    Participant

Ok, so not every video is on a ’tiled-gallery’ page, is what you are saying? Would make sense. Well in that case you have to find a way to include the fluid-video-snippet.js in only those pages that have videos, or have them on every page, it doesn’t really matter, I think.

broomhandle
    Participant

Jargon on a Friday night, not a good mix :P

Can’t I just resize the YouTube player using the controls on YouTube embed etc?

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 152 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.