Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Typography

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mintertweed
    Participant

I am looking for a font. For what? You may ask. A stylish social network app.

I have been looking at various social networks (Facebook, Twitter, et cetera) and they all seem to have very strong characteristics when it comes to their logo, as typography should be.

I want a font that is sans-serif, strong, with interesting angles. Somewhat like Facebook’s logo, which is closely related to Klavika Bold, but I hate pretty much all of the lowercase letters except for “n,” which has an interesting up-turn.

Obviously, the font that I use will just be a jumping-off point for me to leap into the abyss of typography. I already know how I will style the first letter, but I want a good font to start with and I am certain that there are some typography geeks on here.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me!

TheDoc
    chrisburton
    Participant

Cool. Thanks @TheDoc

@mintertweed
    What sort of budget are you able to go with? I see you want a sans-serif face, do you have any other requirements?

chrisburton
    Participant

@mintertweed I’m not too fond of that idea, personally. I think I would go with either custom lettering or a modified typeface (as what you’ve done) and create a mark as a symbol (leaf) to the app.

Shuffle through Louise Fili’s site. Keep an open mind to other styles.

chrisburton
    Participant

@mintertweed Give me a few minutes as I’m helping someone else with font rendering issues outside of the forum and I’ll list quite a few options for you, deal?

chrisburton
    Participant

@mintertweed

Miller Display (love the italic capital Y glyph)

Harrietalternate site (my favorite)

Whitman Display

Benton Modern Display

I’m using the following on my upcoming site until the Harriet series webfonts come out (via Webtype).

Old Standard

Note: Old Standard can also be found on Font Squirrel.

chrisburton
    Participant

@mintertweed

Here are a couple of my personal favorites at the moment.

Whitney

Alright Sans

When I think of the word “Leaflet”, I think of vines. Therefore I believe the best approach would be to find a typeface that is a little more decorative. Such as this:

Carmen Fiesta (type in LEAFLET in all caps).

Even if you don’t want to use that for your logo, I would still think about a mark with the ‘L’. I have a pretty good idea of what I would do with it.

Additionally (serif)

I also like the cupped serifs on Yana

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.