Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other TypeKit vs Google Web Fonts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    chrisburton
    Participant

@CrocoDillon After further testing, I’m seeing the same rendering at multiple font sizes. So it appears they did not make any adjustments as I initially thought. Therefore, using Typekit or GWFs will not make any difference.

CrocoDillon
    Participant

Thanks for testing @chrisburton :)

berni
    Participant

hi there,
    i just discovered a huge difference in rendering of the “same” font.
    i wanted to use “bree serif” on a project and used google fonts. the result is poor. huge rendering-problems on most systems, browsers and font-sizes.
    using the same font via typekit, it renders beautifully on most setups.
    [bree-serif on typekit.com](https://typekit.com/fonts/bree-serif “bree-serif on typekit.com”)
    [bree-serif on google.com/fonts](http://www.google.com/fonts/specimen/Bree+Serif “bree-serif on google.com/fonts”)
    anyone experieced something similar? why does that happen?
    cheers,
    berni

chrisburton
    Participant

@berni Google might not have the updated version of the font.

My vote for Google web fonts.

chrisburton
    Participant

@JoshWhite Yes, `font-weight` can have an impact. Especially if you set it on an element.

chrisburton
    Participant

Do people really pay out of pocket for their client’s webfonts?

Compared to other software and the amount of time it takes designers to create true webfonts, I feel they are under-priced.

chrisburton
    Participant

@joshwhite Can you elaborate?

chrisburton
    Participant

What I mean by “paying out of pocket” is where someone purchases the font/webfont or subscription without factoring it into the cost of the project where the client will ultimately be paying for it.

But I don’t think it’s that simple. Not all webfont/font distributors value the product at the same price or have the same licensing terms. Therefore, I think it would be impossible (and maybe even unfair) to implement them into a rate. Adding it to the cost of the project seems more logical.

ChrisP
    Participant

@chrisburton, I’ve been meaning to ask you about this for a little bit. When using TypeKit, how do you bill the client? Do you treat it as them “contributing” to your annual cost for _your_ subscription? Or do you set them up with a subscription of their own? The reason I ask is I recently picked up the portfolio package from typekit, because, as you’ve been saying, it’s a reasonable price for the font selection/quality it gives you. I’m just weary on how I’ll bill it.

chrisburton
    Participant

I don’t do anything by an hourly rate (it’s all project / value based), but I do base most of my pricing on an hourly rate so I know in the end what it’s all anchored on. – @joshwhite

That’s exactly how I do it.

but asking them to fork out for an ongoing subscription for a font…? For bigger companies maybe, for small to medium sized businesses forget about it. – @deeve007

They do it all the time. Why would you think medium to small businesses won’t pay for a subscription service?

When using TypeKit, how do you bill the client? – @ChrisP

Oh, gosh. There’s many factors to this and not all clients require the same things.

With Typekit, I always set them up for their own subscription. This is because it’s less of a hassle to transfer if they ever hire someone in the future to manage their kit. Additionally, I don’t want them to have access to my account either if they ever decide to start changing things around. Also, sometimes clients ask for selections and then want their in-house managers/designers to take over.

I bill the client based on what it costs me to do the project (nothing is gained here). FYI, I’m not talking about the price of the subscription plan. And then I factor in the profit.

If you’re a web designer that’s looking for a proper way to price, here’s a great article on the subject. http://designpro.co/journal/67/project-pricing-with-respect-to-value

ChrisP
    Participant

@chrisburton, it was less of a question about a proper way to price to a client, and more of a question of how _you_ handle TypeKit for an end user. It’s a brand new service to me, and I’ve noticed you mention it quite a bit, so I wanted your feedback as to how you handle it. You definitely answered my question though. Thanks :)

chrisburton
    Participant

@ChrisP Ah, my apologies. Are you sure I answered your questions?

@cwork
    See article I posted.

ChrisP
    Participant

@chrisburton, yes

> With Typekit, I always set them up for their own subscription. This is because it’s less of a hassle to transfer if they ever hire someone in the future to manage their kit. Additionally, I don’t want them to have access to my account either if they ever decide to start changing things around. Also, sometimes clients ask for selections and then want their in-house managers/designers to take over.

That answered it. I wasn’t sure if you included a “contribution” to your overall annual subscription to TypeKit, or if you did as you mentioned, and just set the client up with their own TypeKit account.

I purchased the Portfolio package because it was fairly priced, included the entire font collection, and had _plenty_ of page views included into the package. I wasn’t sure if I should be using my plan for customers, or set customers up with their own TypeKit plan.

chrisburton
    Participant

@ChrisP Yeah, I think it’s smarter and makes sense for the client to have their own plan for reasons I mentioned above.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 64 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.