Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Trying to make a website like… and dont know wear to begin

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    vinsin

Hello everyone, let me first start this off by saying that I am a design student and know very little about actual CSS coding. I know my way around the strait forward aspects of Adobe Dreamweaver (I actually operate and manage 3 commercial sites at the moment) but besides tweaking some values and error proofing code, I have no real knowledge about CSS coding. Now or my actual question.

You see I’m trying to build a website much like kittenwar.com, in that the viewer gets to pick between two pictures (or variables) and when done they will be given a graph that shows how many other people picked as they did (if you dont get what I’m saying please check the kittenwars site to have a better understanding). I have most of the aesthetics layed out and the site is coming together but I have no idea how to make it actually “work”. how would I be able to put together a site like this?

Senff
    Participant

Well, to make it “work” (meaning, the votes are tallied and displayed, I assume), CSS is not what you’ll need. Instead, you’re gonna need a back-end programming language and a database. Nowadays, PHP and MySQL, resp. are the obvious choices.

Every time someone choses a kitten, some PHP code adds the vote to a database.
    And to show the total number of votes, some other PHP code will query the database and show the number of votes.

Hope that helps and that you know in which direction to go!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.