Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Trying to get html code to 'save' info

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Wymetto
    Participant

I am building an app – I took my aweber layout and just want end user to fill in answers to pre-set questions and SAVE not submit – so when they open the app again that info is there.

Here is a snippet – can I change out ‘submit’ to ‘save’ or something?

chrisburton
    Participant

You need to elaborate in more detail about this “app”. Take us through the process.

Wymetto
    Participant

I have a html page linked from “Local Numbers” tab.

I basicly stole from my Aweber account the coding for the visual layout I like.

Year/Make/Model: ………………………………
    VIN: ………………………………
    Insurance Company: …………………………….
    Insurance Number: ………………………………
    Notes: ……………………………..

So the end user fills out this information (………. area). Now the problem with the aweber form is it has the ‘submit’ – I changed that out to say “Automotive Emergency App” hoping they don’t hit that to submit.

I would like that to say “save” so when they save the info they typed in it will be there the next time the open the app (and could edit of course)

yes?

chrisburton
    Participant

so when they save the info they typed in it will be there the next time the open the app (and could edit of course)

How do you plan on identifying people? For example, if you wrote in information and I wrote information, how are you planning to distinguish me from you so the information that I entered shows up and not yours?

Does that make sense?

Wymetto
    Participant

good question – it’s strictly information for the end user – I (as app owner) would never need or want the info – it doesn’t need to go into a database.

just save like ‘notes’ does – but in notes you can’t set the initial questions (Year/Make/Model) – I may be way out in left field here -there might be an easier way to do this. I’m just under the gun for this app update because of some big pending customers.. I don’t know how to use ‘pagegap’ which i guess let’s you write coding..

chrisburton
    Participant

Are we talking about a web app?

I think you may want to take a look at PHP setcookie(). This will allow you to store the information client side and choose when it expires. Strictly using $_SESSION will not be appropriate here since the information will be lost when the user closes out their browser.

Wymetto
    Participant

No, Sorry a Mobile App – you can search the store for ‘ThomsonMotors’ and download it (delete it when done) and you can have a visual – I don’t see where I can upload images here. I have a descent grip on HTML but PHP is out of my league..

chrisburton
    Participant

I have no knowledge of developing for mobile apps. I don’t think I would be of any help.

Wymetto
    Participant

ok – thanks for your patience – I appreciate your time..

Wymetto

nixnerd
    Participant

I don’t either… but I’ll try. Mobile apps are typically written in Java, Objective C, or Visual Basic (I would assume this is what Win Phones use). Java is probably the most common because of the plethora of Android devices. This is presumably very easy… provided that you know one of these languages. If you want to build a web app… which I think would be a wise first step, @chrisburton is right, you can either do it client side or server side. If you do it server side, you have to use a database. There has to be somewhere to store that data. It’s not really about whether or not you would want it. Although, in my opinion, you’d probably be wise to have access to it. It’s easier to monetize your app in a creative way if you have access to user data. However, you’ll need to write a TOS agreement that discloses that.

nixnerd
    Participant

I would jump on Reddit as this is a broad question we can’t help you with. Once you narrow down EXACTLY what you want to do, you can go to Stack Overflow and the good folks over there will help you. But be warned… you need to thoroughly research your problem before you post there.

Wymetto
    Participant

Ok thanks guys – I will do that..

chrisburton
    Participant

It’s not necessarily that he needs a database, a cookie with a very long expiration date would suffice, it’s that it would be smarter in case the app expands where it would need that data (e.g. sharing mobile app data to web app).

nixnerd
    Participant

But aren’t all cookies client side? Admittedly, I don’t know much about any of this but the way I see it, there are two options. My vote would be to store that data in a database.

chrisburton
    Participant

@Joe_Temp Yes, cookies are client side but you can still retrieve the data from them.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.