Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Trying to add Custom Field data into a PHP function, but isn’t working.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    asiek
    Participant

I have a custom field for video format posts, where you paste the video’s ID in. Then I have a PHP function to grap the View count for youtube videos.

I tried placing:

ID, ‘v_url’, true); ?>

into

$video_ID = ‘your-video-ID’;
    $JSON = file_get_contents(“https://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/api/videos/{$video_ID}?v=2&alt=json”);
    $JSON_Data = json_decode($JSON);
    $views = $JSON_Data->{‘entry’}->{‘yt$statistics’}->{‘viewCount’};
    echo $views;
    ?>

Where “your-video-ID” is located.

Here is what the full code looked like afterwards

$video_ID = ‘ID, ‘v_url’, true); ?>’;
    $JSON = file_get_contents(“https://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/api/videos/{$video_ID}?v=2&alt=json”);
    echo $views;
    ?>

Then I get this error message:

“**Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/example/public_html/test/wp-content/themes/example/format-video.php on line 23**”

What exactly is the issue here?
    I’m not too familiar with php so I’m lost.
    Please help.

chrisburton
    Participant

I’m no expert but perhaps it is this:

`’ID, ‘v_url’, true); ?>’`

Shouldn’t it be:

`”ID, ‘v_url’, true); ?>”`

asiek
    Participant

@chrisburton I’ve tried that :/
    The error disappears but the View Count doesn’t appear at all.

chrisburton
    Participant

Then I think something is wrong with your code that’s trying to retrieve that data. Unfortunately this isn’t my area so I’m not sure I can help further. At least removing the error helps.

Can you post a link?

asiek
    Participant

@chrisburton Appreciate your help.

Alen
    Participant

You are already within php code block there is no need to nest `ID, ‘v_url’, true);
    echo $views;

?>

Alen
    Participant

Also try printing out the data that’s returned to see if anything is in fact being returned. So do something like:

ID, ‘v_url’, true);
    print_r($video_ID);

?>

It is possible that `$post` is not defined, try using `get_post_meta( get_the_ID(), ‘v_url’, true);`

asiek
    Participant

@alenabdula It works now :D
    And due to my lack of php knowledge I wouldn’t even know where to place the 2nd snippet you’ve posted :/
    But thank you so much for your help!

Alen
    Participant

You would use it where you have it now on the first line, the only diff. is the first argument! `$post->ID` to `get_the_ID()`. But if it works now, don’t fix what’s not broken :)

asiek
    Participant

@alenabdula Thank you so much! :)
    I will try the

print_r($video_ID);

, Just to check it out.I dislike the fact that the PHP function doesn’t add a coma within the views when needed though lol :( But I’m glad it works now!

asiek
    Participant

@alenabdula Quick question. Does that line of code make sure the video id is in place? I just had a small issue where the view count didn’t appear at all. I refreshed it a few times then the view count appeared again..

Alen
    Participant

[From php.net](http://php.net/manual/en/function.print-r.php) –> print_r — Prints human-readable information about a variable.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.