Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design to show scroll bar or not

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    bearhead
    Participant

On the website I’m developing, the home page is 100% view height, however, all other pages of the site are longer and require the user to scroll, each page has a menu that is consistent site-wide.

What is worse UX, a grey-ed out scrollbar, or a menu that “jumps” when the scrollbar appears on longer pages?

Are there any alternatives? The home page content does not lend itself to a longer-than-viewport design, nor is that something the client would even approve.

Is it possible to detect the width of the scroll-bar, and apply that as padding or margin to the menu, so it doesn’t appear to jump, when navigating to other pages?

Paulie_D

Personally, I just add the scroll bar as a defualt if I think it’s going to be an issue,

moxieman
    Participant

You can actually detect the width of the scrollbar by using calc(100vw - 100%)

Using this width, you can set padding on the element to bump the content to the right when the scrollbars appear.

This will technically result in off-center content, but the jump will be gone.

Check out this pen. http://codepen.io/jeffSWMC/pen/yNBGLq

Alex
    Participant

I don’t think you should be afraid of a scroll bar, but that’s just me.

josh
    Participant

Neither are significant UX issues. I wouldn’t worry too much about it, but my recommendation would be to show the scrollbar.

On another note, how do you know that the content does not lend itself to a longer-than-viewport design? What height range are you accounting for?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.