Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design Is it good to design in the browser just to give several designs to the client?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    THpubs
    Participant

As the first stage of development. I need to give several different mockups to the client so he can pick the one he like. Normally I design in photoshop and give the png to the client. In here I face several problems :

• Some client’s say the size need to be adjusted and to full screen. They try to compare it with the real output. But the problem is they change when coding.
    • Some say there are too much information but the thing they don’t see is that the png have the full site but when someone visit the site only a part will be displayed in the screen
    • There are some visual effects I can’t replicate in photoshop to match exactly with the real css output.
    • I feel like i need a framework like Bootstrap or Material at that very moment. Replicating those elements in photoshop is harder. Coding them might be easier right?
    • I feel like I can’t show everything to the client. Mostly the animations.

But I feel like designing in the browser is a bit more work! Is it worth it? What do you think?

Alen
    Participant

@thpubs

Designing in the browser might be misleading term. You don’t actually design in the browser. It’s the comps that you show to the client that are in the browser, how you get there doesn’t matter.

You might want to listen to this episode of Unfinished Business, Stephan Hay talks about what really means to design in the browser, and how you get there.

http://www.unfinished.bz/104

Shikkediel
    Participant

Of course the browser itself is becoming more like graphics software, especially in the past few years. With all the filters, gradients, transforms, svg compatibility and what not it might be surpassing the capabilities of Photoshop anyway…

The middle road – not showing the client the plain pngs but putting those templates in a web page to be viewed.

mmcgu1966
    Participant

It’s not unusual for clients to ask me to ‘just make something’ and then spend twice as much time hacking it to be what they really want. Getting ANYTHING up front for as a clue makes it much easier in the long run.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.