Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Time-based Design

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    lonetraceur
    Participant

I was just curious if anyone knows of any sites/blogs that change design depending on the time and/or date?
    On my blog I setup a very simple piece of PHP/CSS code that changes the entire colour palette and background images depending on it being after or before 7pm. (http://www.parkourgenerations.com/blog)
    The only one I’ve come across is the themes for iGoogle/gMail…

I think this is a possible avenue for a lot of development potential. With some basic algorithms i’m sure you can gradually change a site palette by manipulating a core group of CSS values that control the colour scheme… This I think would bring a whole new meaning to a dynamic site! Also, just thinking out-loud, but other things to alter could be opacity levels and images.

If anyone is curious about the PHP/CSS code, let me know and i’ll post it up.

keirk

Yes I’ve seen a few sites that use the idea …

Question would you use the clients time or your own server time? Also would find local sunrise/set times? As you’d want it to use the night them when it was actually night – ie here in the UK its dark around 7.30pm at the moment – but in Holland that would be around 8.30pm ….

Cool idea but its get complicated …

I did see a site that used yahoo weather to pull local weather conditions for his area and customised the design around that …. that was cool. But ultimately pointless.

bor003

That sounds very cool!
    Can you show us the code that you used to do that as it might be useful one time… you never no, also I just want to no how it was done!

Regards

lonetraceur
    Participant

Its about as easy as you can get really… And several methods can be used. But by far the easiest would be to create two different CSS stylesheets each with a different colour scheme and switch between the two depending on what the time is…

Code would look something like this:

Code:
    19 || date(‘G’) < 7) { echo '‘;
    } else {
    echo ‘‘;
    }
    ?>

The value of date(‘G’) could be used for many things… for instance, you could control the opacity of an image or a coloured div by using this value.

For instance, it might look something like this:

Code:

You can see that depending on the date, the opacity level of #background_image is changed… :) Simple.

A design method for non-time based tracking controller of mobile robots is presented. The new design method converts a controller designed by traditional time-based approaches to a non-time based controller using any given action reference.

I think you can check the user’s ip address and then depending on that calculate his time line and then change the theme according to that? Its an idea hehe

blue642

neat idea, I have seen this a few times with different iterations, incluidng a few weather examples.

What I am curious about is why your Salutation with the calendar picter only shows 5 rows of dates (there were 7 days in a week last I checked.)

silvers

i really like the idea of changing look for time. thanks for the code. i might experiment with this now! :)

dcp3450
    Participant

i did it for a client:
    http://wingedpixel.web44.net/NewZubo

it has 4 states based off user time, morning, afternoon, evening, and night.

dcp3450
    Participant

I also would like to note this is an old site I made before I learned some pretty hard design and dev lessons.

goddy128

It sounds great.

dcp3450
    Participant

use javascript so you use the clients time not the server.

desizn104

Wait who knows the answer. Want to know the same.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.