Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Three-column floated layout

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    eliot_ness

I’m building a page based on the tutorial code that goes along with the book "CSS Mastery" by Andy Budd from friendsofed.
    It is based on the Three-column floated layout on page 140. The CSS code has this bit;

/* Add some padding============= */

#mainNav, #secondaryContent {
    padding-top: 20px;
    padding-bottom: 20px;
    }

#mainNav *, #secondaryContent * {
    padding-left: 20px;
    padding-right: 20px;
    }

#mainNav * *, #secondaryContent * * {
    padding-left: 0;
    padding-right: 0;
    }

I don’t understand what this is doing, and the book contains no explanation of it that I can find. If I remove it I can’t make the page look right. I know right now you’re thinking — well leave it in you idiot — and I certainly don’t mind doing that, but I would like to understand what its function is.

I tried going to the source and posted this question on the forum at friendsofed but got no response. CSS-Tricks is one of my top 5 places for learning web design so I hope someone here can help me out.

eliot_ness

I guess I need to be more explicit.

I understand the concept of the box model, and thus, the first segment of code. What I don’t understand is the following two sections, making use of the universal selector. If someone could explain that I would appreciate it.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.