Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Thoughts on a little proof-of-concept page I put together?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    WCMiller

Hey all. I’ve decided to take a stab at tutorial writing, and I decided to go over a little proof-of-concept page I’ve made, trying to make something like what Chris made in his Dynamic Page / Replacing Content, using only CSS, and still meeting all the best practices that Chris outlined.

After I do the how-to part, I want to discuss how and when (if ever) this sort of approach should be used, and its pros and cons. I was hoping to get some of your thoughts and impressions on it, to give me more food for thought for when I write it.

Here’s a demo of the technique in action, for your perusal.

*Note: As I’m currently on Ubuntu, I haven’t been able to test it in IE, but it should (theoretically) degrade nicely.

Nicely done! Unfortunately it doesn’t work in IE7 but that was to be expected. I love the :target pseudo-class, I have also been doing some experiments with it recently.

WCMiller

Thanks!
    How does it degrade? Does all the content still show up?

The first page shows up, you lose everything else.

WCMiller

Okay, I think I know where the issue is. I’ll have to tweak it a bit before I go “live” with it. Thanks again.

*Edit: I’ve fixed the issues I think are appearing. Now all the sections should appear, even in IE. The only issue is that the “home” page is by necessity at the bottom. I’m still working on a work around for that one.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.