Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other This is my desktop… 3 years ago.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    nixnerd
    Participant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucwrJbOOPGo

Still pretty freaking amazing today. I’ve since ditched Ubuntu + Compiz but the Linux community has moved WAAAAY past this.

If you’re curious… I suggest you give it a try. It’s real fun.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve never used linux, but now i want to. Looks amazing

nixnerd
    Participant

It’s awesome. You should give it a shot. Ubuntu is one of the more user-friendly distros… but it’s far from the trendiest these days.

chrisburton
    Participant

Hey, @Joe_Temp, have you ever seen Revolution OS? It’s a documentary about the beginning of Linux. I just watched it the other day and thought you’d like it.

nixnerd
    Participant

@chrisburton I have seen it and I freaking love it. I was just watching clips the other day on YouTube.

On another note (semi-related)… in that documentary, Eric Raymond references his book, “The Cathedral and the Bazaar“, which explains very well how free software/open source is INTEGRAL to the internet age for so many different reasons. It really touches on the crux of the matter.

But, that book has so many awesome concepts and quotes that cover a very wide spectrum of computer science. I’d like to read it in its entirety.

I’m in the process of choosing a database for a startup and I read this quote from that book today:

“Show me your code and conceal your data structures, and I shall continue to be mystified. Show me your data structures, and I won’t usually need your code; it’ll be obvious.”

This is such an awesome quote for so many reasons. But… I think it’s totally true that data design is the REAL trade secret… not the code.

Ok, that aside is over now. Great documentary.

chrisburton
    Participant

On a side note, I just switched my major from Business to Computer Science. Can’t wait to get started.

nixnerd
    Participant

On a side note, I just switched my major from Business to Computer Science. Can’t wait to get started.

What?! I thought you were all pre-law and shit dude! Did all that PHP coding just make you fall in love with a different discipline?

chrisburton
    Participant

What?! I thought you were all pre-law and shit dude! – @Joe_Temp

I still am! To attend law school you are required to have an undergraduate degree. The great thing about law school is that they prefer you choose a major for your undergraduate that you enjoy or interests you so that you are more likely to do well. My business classes were incredibly boring.

Did all that PHP coding just make you fall in love with a different discipline?

Basically but the problem is that I have only learned basic things to get some functionality to work rather than learn about best practices, security, etc. I think it will be easier to pick up and understand in a class setting.

nixnerd
    Participant

I still am! To attend law school you are required to have an undergraduate degree.

Oh I know that… I just assumed since you want to do corporate law, you would continue studying business.

The truth of the matter though: It doesn’t matter.

My sister is an attorney in the Office of General Council for the Department of Defense in Washington… she majored in Spanish. As in, the foreign language you take in High School. Funny part is: Not one single facet of her job is bi-lingual… at all. So, I suppose you’re right and you should take something you enjoy.

I think it will be easier to pick up and understand in a class setting.

I found the opposite for myself. Then again… the first programming language I learned in college was Java… which I’m convinced is not learn-able as a first language.

Some people REALLY thrive in a classroom though.

nixnerd
    Participant

Be careful Chris… It was my plan to go to law school… Then I fell in love with computers :)

chrisburton
    Participant

The truth of the matter though: It doesn’t matter.

Yes, exactly. I’m still wanting to practice as a corporate lawyer.

I found the opposite for myself. Then again… the first programming language I learned in college was Java… which I’m convinced is not learn-able as a first language.

Watching Harvard’s CS lecture via video seemed to really help me with learning about PHP sessions.

It appears the first programming language I will be learning is C++.

nixnerd
    Participant

It appears the first programming language I will be learning is C++.

@chrisburton
    That’s great! But I think the most pressing question on all of our minds is: Are you going to finally start using Git? :)

chrisburton
    Participant

Haha. We’ll see.

nixnerd
    Participant

Sorry to keep bringing it up. Ha ha.

valimai
    Participant

I’m thinking to switch now to linux after watching your desktop video.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.