Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Thesis “Framework”?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    JoshWhite

Anyone have any experience with this? I’ve got a client I’m doing some branding identity work for is looking at possibly moving his website into the thesis theme.

I’m having a hard time deciphering exactly what thesis is. They say it’s a framework, but it just looks like a theme with more options than a standard theme. I find it somewhat disturbing that you can’t even see how this differs from a standard WP theme until you’ve shelled out $70. My comment to him so far was that I’d look into it, but I don’t see how this takes away any customizations he was going to need anyway.

mixxmac

Hi Josh… I haven’t used the Thesis theme. But, I’m aware that it’s a premium theme with a lot of options. The “framework” term may refer to it’s extensibility. It may have been designed with a lot of hooks throughout, which would allow you to add/remove features in different places, by adding overriding functions programatically in your theme using action hooks & filters. It may also work as a parent theme, allowing you to install it in wordpress, and build child themes based on it.

A good example of a free theme framework is http://themeshaper.com/thematic/

TheDoc

I just bookmarked this the other day:

http://whiteboardframework.com/

Haven’t look at it yet. Like you, Josh, I always go from scratch and simply re-use bits and pieces from previous projects. I have it on my list to check this one out though.

JamesBarnsley
    Participant

I use the Thesis theme.

The only real thing it does is allow you to set some basic CSS from inside the admin panel. fonts, heights, columns, menus etc.

It also has a valid xhtml / css template to begin with.

JamesBarnsley
    Participant

If you want to test it out give me a shout.

mixxmac

I think using a specific framework is an alternative to starting a theme from scratch. You can use the framework as a starting point / boilerplate. Once you’re familiar with the framework, it’s ids, classes, hooks, and other features it may help to build child themes more easily. It’s a matter of preference whether a template framework offers any value.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.