Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Theoretical "is it possible?" question.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    nixnerd
    Participant

So, I’ve been playing around with ARM computers a lot. Not getting real deep yet, just mainly toying around Linux configurations and setting up some cron tasks. Nothing too crazy. But, I have a sweet idea for my house.

So, you know all the stuff connected to your TV? Cable box, DVD player, Blu-Ray, VCR (if you’re old-school), etc? Well, I’d really like to hide all those in a closet… maybe even all badass style on a custom rack. But how will I be able to interact with them? Answer? Two ARM computers and some infrared LEDs. I’m thinking of having one Raspberry Pi on the wall receiving the signal, which sends the signal to the one in the closet . The one in the closet can then relay that signal via infrared LEDs to the device in question.

Why stop there though? Why not have another ARM computer with a little screen to replace all your remotes?

Basically… what I’m getting at is, I’d like to have one of those systems that super ballers have to control their whole media center… but I want to hack it myself and maybe hook it up to XBMC too.

Is this possible? I don’t see why it wouldn’t be.

nixnerd
    Participant

There’s also a really nice voice recognition utility for Linux that is completely open source. It would be sick to just say “TV on” and have it turn on. Say “Netflix” and have it bring up Netflix. Theoretically this is all possible. Does anybody see any issues with this.

__
    Participant

Possible, sure. I think it would be easier to rip everything to a media server and just use xmbc+etc. directly —even hook up your cable to it— rather than trying to make an IR “remote relay.” If that’s all you really want, you could probably just buy some extra wire, put your players in the closet, and run the IR receivers back into the living room (den/ wherever).

nixnerd
    Participant

Really good point. Seems excessive to have a full-blown little computer just handling IR signals.

However… I didn’t know you could “hook your cable” up to XBMC. I thought that was just for video files that you own. You’ve piqued my interest. Now I actually want to do this.

__
    Participant

There’s “figuring” involved. And actually, I think it’s another bit of software that can handle that. It might not be possible on an ARM board; at least, not a Pi or BBB. The idea is in the video I linked. I think they used xmbc as a “player,” with something else handling recording from cable (which, as they point out in the vid, is almost certainly legal in the US; but you’d be smart not to advertise to your cable company that you’re doing it).

nixnerd
    Participant

Yeah… especially in the midst of the Aereo situation.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.