The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design The user account styles in Chrome are overwriting my author styles on most sites

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
  • #273446

    I manage several websites, all created using the same template that I have created. A couple of days ago I started to see one site that was not loading any of my styles or images when using Chrome. It works fine in Firefox. Both browsers are current. When I look at Dev Tools in Chrome and look at a style sheet entry, it shows link { display: none;} whereas in Firefox it shows:
    {margin: 0; padding: 0; } from main.css. Is there a way to overwrite the user agent styles? One page that is having this problem is


    Under the “sources” tab in dev tools it states the following:

    Resource interpreted as Stylesheet but transferred with MIME type text/plain: ""

    The issue isn’t that your style is overwritten, it’s just not applied at all because Chrome is apparently fuzzy with this.


    Interestingly, I have several other sites that utilize the same stylesheets with only a few changes to load different images and with the same link lines in the html, again with only pathing differences. And all the other sites correctly load in Chrome. I compared the link encodeing in the index.shtml code for and and other than the domain names, everything else is the same. I did notice that I had a line in the code on the 11thrru site, handheld.css, that did not exist in onthewing, so I added it and changed the domain name and uploaded it to the server. Now when I look at the onthewing page in Chrome all the stylesheet links EXCEPT the one for handheld.css show the Resource interpreted as Stylesheet but transferred with MIME type text/plain: “” error.

    I have even retyped the stylesheet link section in my text editor and deleted them from the html and pasted in the new ones with no change in the display. In checking the page with CSS HTML Validator Pro 2018, it said to remove the type=”text/css” from the link which I did but again, there was no change. I just tried this again and still get the error on all entries except the handheld.css.

    I also found that some of the errors were from Javascript that was to fix some errors for users using M$ IE6 browsers. I no longer care about those so I commented out the Javascript sections. Still no change.

    I looked again at my page, which is on the same web hosting account, and other than the domain names and text the index.shtml pages are the same and it shows no errors in developer at all. I am about out of ideas.


    I have the site working again. I ended up reverting to a version from several months ago and updating that one to include the new updates. I still have no idea why the newer version of the site stopped working last week after having no problems for the past 5 months.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.