Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript The transition for the menu on my mobile page doesn't trigger

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    wost
    Participant

For some reason the .navigation’s transition won’t trigger when I click my menu, what have I done wrong?
    This is the code I’m using:

const openMenu   = document.getElementById("open-menu")
    const navigation = document.getElementById("navigation")

openMenu.addEventListener('click', (e) => {
      navigation.classList.toggle("show");
    });

and this is the Sass (it’s in a media query, though, could that have anything to do with that?)

#navigation
            display: none
            opacity: 0
            height: 0
            transition: 0.3s all
            &.show
              display: block
              opacity: 1
              height: auto

This is my page: https://wostensen.github.io/new-new-new-personal-pagr/

Shikkediel
    Participant

You can’t transition an element from none to block, so you probably want to use just use opacity.

By the way, arrow functions are neat but I’ve avoided them myself for lack of cross browser support…

https://caniuse.com/#feat=arrow-functions

wost
    Participant

But shouldn’t the height and the opacity be affected by the transition, I only set display to block to make it not be none.

I run my JS through Babel, so if you look through the sources of my page, it should be ES5-compliant. :)

Shikkediel
    Participant

Good question, it’s obvious that it won’t fade out (because it will be instantly hidden) but I’m not sure why it wouldn’t work the other way around. The auto height value isn’t animatable either so that won’t have an effect.

Edit – and I don’t think it would be noticeable unless you use overflow: hidden .

Shikkediel
    Participant

Must have to do with the fact that display: none removes the element from the page flow, so it’s “not really” there when the animation starts…

Works fine with the visibility property.

Once again I’ll edit – I had something similar last week. The CSS will only “realise” it is not display: none anymore until the next calculation cycle of the machine. In my example, I set a zero delay timeout to execute the next block of code.

Shikkediel
    Participant

Here’s a small demo to illustrate it:

codepen.io/rpYMRJ

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.