Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS the confusing variety of reset css files

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ethanmiller
    Participant

i’m still relatively new to webdesign. one thing that has been exceedingly disorienting is the great number of css files that reset or rebuild css to cancel out browser idiosyncrasies. i’ve come across three so far: reset.css, normalize.css, and rebuild.css. can anyone point me to an article or blog post somewhere that gives a complete summary of the differences of these different files, and when using one or more of them is appropriate?

tobeeornot

I use Eric Meyer’s reset but I suggest you stick to one good one and not become obsessed by the minor differences. HTML5 boilerplate is good to use if you just want to jump straight into coding.

ethanmiller
    Participant

@tobeeornot: so they are all essentially try to achieve the same thing? i had gotten the sense, for example, that normalize.css (which is also what is in the html5 boilerplate?) had somewhat different goals: ie dealing with cross-browser style problems as they relate to html5 elements. so if one is working on a site that will use html5 elements, does one need both a reset.css and a normalize.css?

tobeeornot

Yes, it is all about ensuring browsers inbuilt styles do not conflict with your code. I am not sure if it is a good idea combining resets as there is likely to overlap and conflict.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.