Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS The Best way to Position Elements?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    sevodesign

Hi, I’m wondering what’s the best way to position elements on a web page. With absolute, relative, static or fixed positioning? I’m working with a sliced psd, so theirs a bunch of images. Any help would be great! Thanks.

TheDoc

They all have specific functions, so it depends on what you’re trying to do and how complicated the design is.

sevodesign

@thedoc Here’s a screen shot of the web page from webdesign.tutsplus.com http://d3pr5r64n04s3o.cloudfront.net/102_Iconify/final-1.jpg

TheDoc

Looks pretty simple and straight forward!

You probably won’t need any static/fixed divs. You might need a couple absolutely positioned elements, but for the most part it will be pretty clean.

Actually, you probably won’t have to specify a position for any of them.

sevodesign

@thedoc “Actually, you probably won’t have to specify a position for any of them.” Really?! I’m not that good with coding, so how would I do it?

TheDoc

Sorry, Sevo – can’t walk you through an entire development process. The HTML structure should look pretty basic though – nothing special going on in the design.

Each rounded corner box would be a div (header, main, footer) and each of those will probably contain a few divs as well. You’ll probably want to wrap the entire thing in a wrapping div as well to keep it centered.

Give it a go and come back here when you run into a problem.

sevodesign

@thedoc no, I no what I would put each of the elements in, and I already have the wrapper div. What I was asking is how would I position those elements, whether I would use margins, absolute, or relative positioning, what would be the best way to go?

TheDoc

You could assign them a ‘relative’ position, but they default to that anyways.

Considering the flow of the document, there is no way you’d want to absolutely position them.

@TheDoc The default position for elements is static. You can’t use top, bottom, left or right with static though. Also, static elements won’t contain absolutely positioned elements and z-index won’t work on a statically positioned element. You need to set position: relative; for all that to work. In regards to the flow of the document, static and relative are the same.

This is a great read on the topic: http://www.alistapart.com/articles/css-positioning-101/

TheDoc

True fact.

I suppose in my head they are the same because they work the same in the flow of the document, and I only add relative when I need to absolutely position something inside of it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.