Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Thats All???

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Junni
    Participant

am totally confused that what kind of apps we can build in PHP & Mysql, where ever i searched and asked every body is working for time tracking, CMS and eCommerce… THats All? this is all for php can used?? or THere is a larger scope of PHP?? which apps are built in PHP or How much far you can go with it?

__
    Participant

PHP is generally used for web apps, but there’s not really a limiting factor (provided your app is generally RESTful/compatible -i.e., you don’t need web sockets or streaming). What sort of app do you want to make?

Junni
    Participant

i want to make an app which may include Backbone and Codeigniter with it, firstly i was thinking of making Stock Exchange app, then i have disturbed my mind with other ideas also , now i have an idea in my mind to my a Mega store where everyone come and make its own store but you know, there are many projects have been made like that, so what we can add as some extra feature to it, so it may different from the running ones

__
    Participant

i want to make an app which may include Backbone and Codeigniter with it

sure, why not?

firstly i was thinking of making Stock Exchange app

Well, what would a “Stock Exchange app” do? Make a list of specific “little things” you would want to be able to do with your app, and then you can look at how to accomplish each and tie them together into a usable interface.

a Mega store where everyone come and make its own store…

Before tackling something like a “mega” store, you’d need to figure out an individual store.

This will apply to most ideas you might have. An app doesn’t need to be huge in order to be good. You might have an app that does only one specific thing, but does it very well.

Especially with the first project(s) you work on, you might need to narrow your focus in order to come out with something good. This might lead to more comprehensive projects, or it might not; but that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

so what we can add as some extra feature to it, so it may different from the running ones

What you’re getting at, here, is a way to make your project “stand out.” There’s going to be two basic ways you might do this:

• Make a service that does something no one else ever has.
    • Make a service that does something better than anyone else has.

So, for example, if you want to make a CMS, it might have new and unique features, or it might have no unique features at all but be significantly nicer to install/use.

Junni
    Participant

Let Suppose Traq you are at an institute and and you have the same skills or more than that and you are asked to make and App which may be considered a test to your whole skills and will have affect on you career then what you would prefer to do?

Junni
    Participant

if you will free to make what you want to make but an innovative app which may be a new idea or an increment to an existing one then what you will do?

Alen
    Participant

If you really want to take serious approach to building web apps using PHP, I would suggest getting on board with Laravel. And signing up with Laracast.com. $9/month is a joke compared to education you’ll get. Things covered are specific to Laravel but Jeffrey Way goes beyond that and covers how to do APIs, how to build robust applications, Object Oriented Programming, and just amazing collection of various interrelated things.

I’ve never used any other PHP framework so take my advice as such. But from my research, CI is falling behind, where Laravel is really picking up steam.

__
    Participant

if you will free to make what you want to make but an innovative app which may be a new idea or an increment to an existing one then what you will do?

I am free to choose; and I’m currently building a web framework.

Let Suppose Traq you are at an institute … and you are asked to make and App which may be considered a test to your whole skills and will have affect on you career then what you would prefer to do?

If the sole purpose was to test my abilities, then I would go look for another job.

Junni
    Participant

I’m currently building a web framework.

OMG great sirrr…

but now tell me what may i do in that situation ? I have to make an App, which may make career, but i have no idea, i thought for a week but all in vain.. so You have much skill. you tell what app may i develop ?

__
    Participant

you tell what app may i develop ?

no, not really. It’s something you need to figure out. I’m not saying this to avoid helping you; if you’re going to work on something and be successful at it, it needs to be something you have taken to heart and really need/want/understand. That’s not something someone else can do for you. It’s like choosing your favorite color: I simply can’t tell you what it is.

I can tell you that you probably won’t find your ideal app in “a week or so.” My framework, for example, is the result of years and years of other ideas. If I’d tried to make it when I was just starting out, after a week of thought, it would have fallen flat on its face.

So, seriously, choose one, simple idea and make that first. It will be an achievable task, and you’ll learn lots of useful stuff in doing it.

nixnerd
    Participant

I have nothing to contribute to this conversation… other than I don’t really like writing PHP.

But one thing is bothering me… where did you get that star badge @traq? What does that even mean?

Alen
    Participant

where did you get that star badge

scroll down to Forum Updates: https://css-tricks.com/v11/

__
    Participant

where did you get that star badge @traq? What does that even mean?

Ha! I have no freakin’ clue

scroll down to Forum Updates

ah.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.