Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other tfoot keeps breaking tab order

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    idleberg
    Participant

I have a table that contains links in both tbody and tfoot. Since the tfoot tag is supposed to go before tbody, jumping between links in a table using the Tab-key can be a bit confusing. I know I can override the order using the tabindex attribute, but I was hoping for a simpler approach.

If not considered spam, let’s take this project of mine as an example, since this how I came across the problem in the first place. Think about how weird the jumping between links would get if the table contained far more links (breadcrumbs→search field→footer→table rows).

As far as I can tell, I could programmatically inject a tabindex for every single link in the table. However, that would break the sorting options and require even more adjusting. Also, I could set the tabindex for the link in the table footer to -1, but that make the site less accessible. There is no such option like tabindex=last either.

Does anybody have another idea how to solve this elegantly?

idleberg
    Participant

I just noticed that this is a Chrome-specific problem, since it’s the only browser that let’s one jump between links using the Tab-key. Firefox and Safari don’t have this behaviour, so maybe this question is no longer as significant as it first seemed to be ;)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.