Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Taking a job at a place that seem uninnovative

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Eric
    Participant

I went on an interview the other day at a medium sized company and I wasn’t very excited or impressed.
    I understand we can’t all get our dream jobs but there has to be a fine line right?

First they proceeded to show me their ugly design interfaces that they’ve made. It looks like an excel spreadsheet with no color. The head designer got his position through connections he never went to school he played with Photoshop.

They use windows computers ranging from 95 to 7. One of them rolled their eyes when I took out my MacBook.

Then they told me how they still support IE 6 and seven which really sucks. When 1% of the American population is using ie six why do they think they still need to support it?

Then they asked me what languages I knew and if I’ve used CSS. I told them I use CSS a lot and now I use sass. the man then asked me strangely “why would someone not use sass?”

I wasn’t sure if this was a trick question I said I don’t know I think it’s great. Then he said in a hollow tone “well, we don’t use that here”

Am I my being nitpicky or completely normal when I say I would not want to work in such a place?

chrisburton
    Participant

Then they told me how they still support IE 6 and seven which really sucks. When 1% of the American population is using ie six why do they think they still need to support it?

I think you need to rely on your user’s technology and not what America or even the rest of the world is doing.

Am I my being nitpicky or completely normal when I say I would not want to work in such a place?

If these people were not open minded to newer technology then absolutely, I would not pursue a career there. However, if they are open to newer and more innovative technology, I would do everything I could to help them understand why those things are helpful (e.g. presentations). It could even allow you to move up the ladder quicker from your starting position because you’re helping the company save money and time by reducing costs (paying employees for time) which will help profit growth.

__
    Participant

If you weren’t excited or impressed, that don’t take it. Problem solved.

shaneisme
    Participant

I had to come into my workplace knowing they needed help modernizing, but I had the advantage that they knew this and that’s why they hired me. Even still, it’s been an uphill struggle to get major changes done (until I proved myself).

If it’s a medium sized company, with enough influence you might be able to do some damage there and steer things in the right direction. It would be very difficult, but perhaps the challenge is worth it to grow farther than you might expect?

That said, I wouldn’t scoff at the need for supporting IE6, etc., until you saw their usage stats.

__
    Participant

There is a great possibility they NEED someone to help them navigate the technology curve. But it all depends on their company culture. Will you be stifled and told, “shut up and make your table websites”? Or is there a possibility they’ll listen?

well,

…he said in a hollow tone “well, we don’t use that here”

…not very encouraging. As shaneisme pointed out, if you were hired for the task of bringing everyone out of the dark ages, that’s one thing. But if not, then such attempts will probably not be well-received.

Alen
    Participant

Did you ask them any questions? Like why do they still support old tech. If this is a medium sized company I highly doubt they don’t have some legit reasons for doing things the way they do. It seems kinda silly to me that you’re asking for our opinion but you haven’t asked them the right questions.

Everything here is assumption. And that’s a bad way to make any decisions.

Eric
    Participant

thanks for the responses!
    i dont think they want me changing anything especially from the responses they gave me.

I asked why they support ie6 and they said we have customers still using dial up!!

they asked me how I like the designs. I said they were great, but after bothering me for some critique I said
    “why didn’t you use any color?” It was grey bland and slight blue.

The head designer said color gets in the way…. I didnt argue.

Alen
    Participant

Take the job, and explain to them what ie6 has to do with dial-up. At least it would be an interesting exercise in communication.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.