Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Take a look at my new project. Feedbacks are welcome!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    lucadp

Hi everybody, I’m managerial engineering student from Florence and my great passion is web design.
    I’ve already designed few websites, but the one that I ‘m linking here is my favourite one. It’s a website for the most famous gelateria of the whole Florence.
    I’m not a professional designer, but I put in this project a lot of care.
    How much money would you take from a project like this? Consider that I prepared all the design by myself, no templates/recycling.
    I’d like to receive some feedback from you. Thanks a lot!

http://www.buontalenti.it/

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

I think the site looks great, good work!

The image in the header almost looks like a spotlight is shining down on the cupcake-thing, but not quite. I could see that being reworked a little bit to exploit some different lighting and transparency and make it really look like it’s getting blasted by a spotlight. I’ve mentioned this a few times on other design crits here, but I’m always really skeptical about reflections. Make sure that you really think it works with the design and you aren’t just jumping on the reflection bandwagon. It’s no substitute for strong typography.

As far as what it’s worth, that’s a hard question to answer. I think it boils down to hours. What is your hourly rate, and how much time did you spend on it? You can always tweak those numbers, if you feel like what you come up with is too high or too low, but I feel like designers should stick to their guns as far as hourly rate goes, in general.

David R

Looks great! Nice nav colors!

Be careful, though. If you increase the text size on the homepage, the text expands beyond the bottom graphic of each boxed section.

David

lucadp

@Chris
    Thanks a lot for your tips, I’m glad you like my work. Actually I think you’re right about the image of the header: I’ll work on it.
    I know that usually people abuse the usage of reflections, but the physical logo outside the gelateria actually has a reflection, so I’m going to keep it.

@David

Thank a lot for your reply too. I knew about this issue, but my goal was to mantain a simple and semantic code. I tried a lot of ways to solve it, but they all need lot of useless HTML code such as divs and spans, and I have to split the box image. I think people that need larger text is a small percentage and is pretty used to meet strange pages. Furthermore this site actually doesn’t provide real content, but is only for promotional purposes. So we just need to keep content readable, even with some desing errors.

That is a really nice site design, it feels professional and friendly. What more to say than – "I want some ice cream!"

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.