Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Switching themes on WP

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jon_N
    Participant

Hey guys,

I presented a new design for my company’s website. They love it, and now I have to figure out how to implement it. The current site is on Worpress. I want to just modify the current theme so that I don’t lose all the pages and content within the site. Any ideas on the best way to do this? I was thinking of copying the current theme files and modifying them, giving them a new name and uploading them as a new theme. But I’m not really sure how to do that. Any help is much appreciated.

JoshWhite

Well, the very basic first steps to your initial question are you would create a new theme folder like you said, copy the files, and then you’d need to change the template name in the style.css. Then you’d see both themes in the Themes under the Admin Dashboard.

But the question on how to implement it… that’s kind of up to how familiar you are with HTML and WordPress, plus it also depends on if that’s in your regular job description (the web work that is).

If it’s something that benefits your job, I would really recommend that you get Chris’ book Digging Into WordPress. It does an excellent job of explaining how the theme is constructed, what files do what, how the loop is assembled, etc. If you handle the web design for your company, it could really allow you to really utilize your website to create more business opportunities.

But if you are just looking at getting the new theme online and being done with it, you can just copy/paste the theme and start messing with the html until it’s done :)

Jon_N
    Participant

Since I’m keeping all of the content from the previous site, shouldn’t I just create a new stylesheet?

TheDoc

But is it keeping all of the functionality? I’d create a local copy of the database and all of the files on the server and work from that.

JoshWhite

It depends on how you are approaching it. Ideally you would want to start from scratch so you know how everything works. But then again, if you are doing another kind of job, and this is just a side/hobby thing you put together, then you may end up either modifying the current theme or another theme you download to get what you want.

But definitely follow TheDoc’s advice so you are not working on the live site :)

djrolstad
    Participant

You could also use the WordPress Export Tool. It allows you to save all your posts and anything that you have written into an XML file so you go could import it into another WordPress site.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.