Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Switching a domain for WordPress?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    JoshWhite

Hi everyone,

I’m encountering a problem with a customer of mine that has decided to switch their domain. I’ll start by saying it’s a godaddy hosted site and godaddy has the domain as well. So hopefully that will help with the context of what I did. We originally built the website for wibd.net (and on the hosted account that was the primary domain I set). The client then decided to change their brand because they went away from the “w” in the name (parent company), and wanted to make the domain 1800vertigo.com to match all of their marketing collateral.

So, what I did was just go into the hosting control, and changed the primary domain. As you might imagine, the site totally broke and none of the links function. I’m thinking it has to do with how wordpress sees itself in the wp-admin. But I wasn’t able to login to the actual wp-admin any more because none of the urls work.

How does one go about making the change to alter the primary domain of a wordpress site, with godaddy in mind? Should I just simply add the 1800vertigo.com to the list of urls on the hosted side? Or do I need to perform some database trickery?

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

Can you access the database? That’s likely the biggest problem. You’ll need to go into the wp_options table and find the few values that reference the old domain and change them to the new one.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.