Give help. Get help.

  • # February 26, 2013 at 3:14 am

    Hi everyone,

    I have been adding svg images to div tags with the background property in css (example: the treehouse logo on this website). I am having a strange issue I don’t quite understand. The svg file loads just fine in my local host, but when I upload the files into my server and preview the site remotely, the svg image doesn’t load and the browser doesn’t recognize it, as if the file wasn’t there. Am I forgetting to add something to the page so it loads properly?

    Help on this would be super awesome.


    # February 26, 2013 at 4:52 am

    What are you putting as the URL to the image? We need the code.

    # February 27, 2013 at 12:40 pm

    Hi sorry I should’ve added the example from the start. Please refer to to see the issue I’m running into.

    # February 27, 2013 at 1:34 pm

    Simple answer….your svg image isn’t an image…it’s an xml file. with an SVG extension..I think that makes a difference but I’m no expert.

    # March 1, 2013 at 2:00 am

    Paulie and Croco,

    thanks for the advice I ended up learning new tricks from it… it still doesn’t work tho… strange… I’ve tried using:

    “AddType image/svg+xml svg
    AddType image/svg+xml svgz”


    “Content-Type: image/svg+xml”

    as an .htaccess file in the directory where my .svg files live, but nothing…

    I’m running out of ideas. Would you think it is my server’s problem?

    # March 5, 2013 at 2:06 am

    Ok it works now! I don’t quite understand the logic of the solution tho… In order for it to work, I need to add the .htaccess files with the AddType lines in the same directory where the svg images live. That in return will throw that 500 server error that CrocoDillon mentioned. If I reload the URL, delete the .htaccess file, and reload the URL one more time, it will work.

    Check it out:
    There isn’t an error anymore, and it is loading as an image instead of svg code.

    Awesome. Thank you guys for your help!

    # February 18, 2014 at 11:00 pm

    I know this is way late, but I had the same issue. What chuletademarrano said works except I didn’t have to delete the .htaccess file. I just forgot to add the “.” before “htaccess” file name, so it wasn’t working. I added the “.” and it FINALLY worked.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.