Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS support for ie8

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    shamai

so if this website isnt supporting ie8 at all do i have to :)

Depends on your target audience, but I would say yes (and probably IE7 too). CSS-Tricks has a very specific audience, with very few IE users.

shamai

i only noticed it because i was developing my own sites and testing them in adobe browser labs and decided to look up css tricks and see its new design rendered in old browsers.

chrisburton
    Participant

You might also get away with not supporting certain versions of IE depending on the statistics of your analytics. With my (upcoming) site, I will only support IE8+.

chrisburton
    Participant

Also just saw this. Ha. http://theie8countdown.com/

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

I was rocking about 2.5% IE 8 before the update. Probably a little high to drop but OOPS.

Kitty Giraudel
    Participant

I have less than 3% IE users on my website (targeting webdesigners / developers). So I don’t support IE9-. No point.

It really depends on your target audience, but in most case, you can drop support for IE6, and IE7. IE8 is still the latest version of IE on Windows XP, so you may or may not consider supporting it depending on your goals.

chrisburton
    Participant

If you do a simple search, a lot of websites are starting to drop support for it.

theacefes

Where I work our policy has been the latest browser and then one back. So currently IE9 and 8 but they are planning on moving to IE10 when it comes out, though that will probably be a slower transition than I’d like.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.