Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other suggest book(s) to start learning jQuery

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    snillor

It’s past time for me to learn jQuery. I learn best from books.

Any suggestions for books, geared towards someone moderately comfortable with HTML & CSS who wants to dive into jQuery?

I’m thinking of Earl Castledine’s jQuery: Novice to Ninja.

Thanks

snillor

No responses after almost a week, so I’ll try to mark this closed.

Watson90

Since I’ve been active on this forum I’ve noticed that jumping straight into learning jQuery can come back and bite you in the back side as you’re quite limited to its capabilities.

I’ve learned from the guys on here that its best to learn JavaScript first as that will get you to learn the syntax and also give you some of the theory behind such a powerful language.

Dont forget jQuery is basically an easier to use version of JavaScript with its unique function names such as slideUp(); and fadeOut(); which basically makes developers lives easier.

I would suggest using http://codeacademy.com a visit and learning a JavaScript course. It’s free and im working my way through it now and tbh I’m loving it.

Watson90

Oops, sorry @snillor, I didn’t see the **I learn best from books…** statement.

I have only been doing the JavaScript course on code academy for about a week if and when I can throughout the day and ive already got confident in printing stuff to the console, writing functions, writing for loops, writing if else statements and nesting if statements.

Although the functions I’m writing are stuff like find out the length of a string such as “Steven” and check whether the words Male or Female were passed through as strings, i have still came on leaps and bounds.

Obviously my way of learning is to do as opposed to read. I like to watch YT video tutorials, Chris’ screencasts and also online tutorials.

snillor

I appreciate the suggestions, folks.

I’ll check out the js courses on codeacademy.

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

I like books! In addition to all other kinds of learning =)

I really liked [Learning jQuery](http://www.packtpub.com/learning-jquery-for-interaction-design-web-development-with-javascript/book) and [jQuery Enlightenment](http://jqueryenlightenment.com/).

Watson90

@chriscoyier – I too have the learning jQuery book, however I found it very confusing since I hadn’t even touched on anything apart from HTML and CSS, now that I’m learning JS through code academy, I think I will revisit the book again soon and it should all start falling into place :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.