Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Styling a <select> in mobile Safari

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    jlmacdonald

I tried googling the subject and quite frankly I’m not even sure what I’m looking for even exists.

I am creating a page for the iPhone and there’s a rather long <select> The iPhone renders the drop downs a bit differently. They look as they would on the web until you click them, then it brings up a popup where you can scroll through the options. My problem is that the available options are too long so they get truncated. I’m curious if the <option> tags can be styled at all so I can possibly make the font size smaller or something so that all the text from the drop down gets displayed in that popup.

I have searched for css that’s safari specific (using the prefix "webkit") but there doesn’t seem to be much on the subject. Assuming what I’m looking for is even possible.

Thanks for any help!

jlmacdonald

It’s a generated list that houses a security question for a login/registration page. The options in the select are queried from a table so whatever the user chooses would have to match it as it will get stored in their profile in another table.

The nice thing is if this page is strictly for iPhone users then I can create a custom drop down and I’d only have to test it in Safari on the iPhone and not have to worry about cross browser issues or fighting with IE. I was hoping to get away from creating a new control myself, but once it’s created, I could certainly use it in other iPhone pages.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.