Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Style Parent Container using Child’s Class/ID

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    zaidpirwani

Hi,

Though the title almost says it all, let me just rephrase it here for better understanding…

I need to know if it is possible to somehow use the class/id of a child element to style it’s parent or container element using CSS

Sample Code (taken from WordPress / Thesis theme):

OTHER DIV's and stuff

This is the code which I am getting, because of my PHP code, I sometimes get the linked-list class and sometimes I don’t, now I want to know if I can somehow use that linked-list class (which is the class of a child element) to apply styles on the main container DIV, suppose that I don’t want to use the class of the container DIV, I need to make the linked-list posts different from others, all others don’t have this class, but this class is currently only appearing in the heading, H2.

I may be able to get this class in the container DIV, but I wanted to ask here first, if it is possible to style the main container DIV using the linked-list class…

ANY kind of help or guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

jamygolden

So basically, you want to target an element that contains a specific element?

You are not able to do this with CSS alone, however you could achieve this with the help of javascript.

Luminated

I believe Jamy_za is right…what you’re thinking violates the cascading nature of CSS, which is always a downstream direction. I don’t believe you can ‘reverse gears’ essentially, not without the aid of Javascript.

Although, I can easily see future versions of CSS possibly integrating that type of functionality.

zaidpirwani

Thanks @jamy_za and @Luminated.

@jamy_za: Can you please provide me some kind o link etc for doing this through javascript.

@Luminated
    : Yes I had also thought of that, as CSS works from top to bottom, though I don’t think there is anything like this currently under consideration for CSS3, but only time will tell.

If it was possible, then it would have been so cool…..

Luminated

If I’m not mistaken, I think you can also do this with PHP…I’m probably wrong and I think I’d need to see the PHP to be sure, but now you’ve got me thinking… :)

Rob MacKay
    Participant

$(“h2.linked-list”).parent().css(‘background’, ‘red’); is an example :)

zaidpirwani

@Luminated: I hope to see something out of all that thinking you are now doing for me…. Thanks..

zaidpirwani

@Robskiwarrio: thanks for the code snippet, but could you please be a little more specific and tell me how to use it… a reference link etc will do wonders.. :)

Thanks by the way..

zaidpirwani

Hey guys, don’t leave me alone like this..

jamygolden

Hello

Hello Again

Copy and paste the above example into an html file.
    Also, have a look at this website

zaidpirwani

Thankyou @jamy_za and also thanks to all others….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.