Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Sticky Footer & Various Other Problems

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    TheDoc

Firebug and other inspectors will try to close things for you, you’ll need to look at the actual source.

mwdewitt

Okay, I think I have closed all my divs and removed any extra divs that should not be there. I put the IE7 code in the header. The only way I can get the gradient coming from the “header-bg” to flow behind the “sidebar” and “main-col” is by ending “header-inside” and “header” in the “footer.” How do I fix that? And if you visit the other pages, the “header-bg” stops at 960 pixels and the gradient only goes down about ten pixels. So, if you know what I am doing wrong there, please tell me. But, overall, I got the sticky footer to work. That last part would be the good news. Thank you for all of your help thus far. Stick with me just a little bit longer!

Edit: And the shadow-boxes are still only appearing on the top and bottom of the selected elements. On that note, I am going to bed. It is 2:53 AM. Sigh. I look forward to your insights when I log back on sometime tomorrow. Thank you, once again!

Mottie

Hmmm, I saw the div problem and tried to fix it by adding the comments, but I guess I failed at that LOL. And yeah, it’s 4 am and I’ll look again when I have “fresh eyes” LOL.

Thanks @TheDoc & @stevencrader for chiming in!

TheDoc

Okay, now I see your problem.

On your home page you have a body id of ‘default’. It’s applying specific things to the home page only. These two things specifically are why your home page is working:

#default #page-wrap {
    width: 100%;
    }

#default #header-inside {
    width: 960px;
    margin: 0 auto;
    }

On your inside pages, ‘Feel Good Candy’ for example, you have the #page-wrap set to 960px (line 213 in your stylesheet), so it’s not going to stretch full width.

mwdewitt

@TheDoc: So, how do I go about fixing it so that it will spread the whole width? Because it should be using the same code on the “Home” page and “Feel Good Candy.”

And I would like to thank @Mottie and @stevencrader for their help as well. We’re almost there!

Mottie

Don’t forget that the page HTML I shared, I swapped the “page-wrap” and “header” div id’s. So you might have to do that to all of the other pages as well. I figured you had the page template in WordPress and that one fix would apply to all pages, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

mwdewitt

That’s the thing, it should have done it to all pages. In WordPress, there is only one PHP file for the “header,” “sidebar,” “content,” and “footer;” and it uses the same files for all the other pages. Here is an example of what I am looking at for the “Feel Good Candy” page:

Read the rest of this page »

'); ?>
    '

Pages: ', 'after' => '

' , 'next_or_number' => 'number')); ?>

This is everything that is controlling the “Feel Good Candy” page. It pulls the “header.php,” then the “sidebar.php,” then it goes into a bunch of PHP to make the page run, and finally it pulls the “footer.php.”

TheDoc

You’ll need to look in the header.php file.

You are using specific ids on the body and for whatever reason the ‘Feel Good Candy’ page is using a different one.

mwdewitt

If anyone is willing to read through the entire thing, here is my “header.php” file:

>

<br /> <?php<br /> if (function_exists('is_tag') && is_tag()) {<br /> single_tag_title("Tag Archive for ""); echo '" - '; }<br /> elseif (is_archive()) {<br /> wp_title(''); echo ' Archive - '; }<br /> elseif (is_search()) {<br /> echo 'Search for "'.wp_specialchars($s).'" - '; }<br /> elseif (!(is_404()) && (is_single()) || (is_page())) {<br /> wp_title(''); echo ' - '; }<br /> elseif (is_404()) {<br /> echo 'Not Found - '; }<br /> if (is_home()) {<br /> bloginfo('name'); echo ' - '; bloginfo('description'); }<br /> else {<br /> bloginfo('name'); }<br /> if ($paged>1) {<br /> echo ' - page '. $paged; }<br /> ?><br />

$page = $_SERVER;
    $page = str_replace("/","",$page);
    $page = str_replace(".php","",$page);
    $page = str_replace("?s=","",$page);
    $page = $page ? $page : 'default'
    ?>

I’ll search through it again, but I have not seen anything weird yet…

Edit: And I have looked over it three times now and I do not see anything amiss, but that does not mean that there is nothing wrong with it. I am not a programmer by any stretch of the imagination. Thank you to anyone who can solve this problem.

Edit: I have called upon the almighty Chris Coyier to see if he can figure out what is going on. Of course, I never know how long it will take to receive a response.

Edit: Okay, I removed the term “#defualt” from “#default #page-wrap” and “#default #header-inside” and it seems to have centered everything within the 960 pixel page-wrap and the “header-bg.png” is repeating nicely across the top, but the gradient is still getting cut off by the content, whereas it should be flowing behind it. I guess the gradient and shadow-boxes are all that need to be fixed now. Keep it coming!

TheDoc

This is what is causing the id on the body:

Your solution of removing #default from your CSS file works fine though.

mwdewitt

Now, all I have to figure out is how to keep the gradient flowing behind the content on all pages and have my box-shadows working. If anyone knows the solution to one or both of these problems, please leave a response. Again, I think I am going to thank everyone on this website for helping me so much. If it was not for all of you, my website would be a broken mess.

Billy
    Participant

What do you mean by this? Could you post some specific code/examples?

mwdewitt

I figured out how to have the “header-bg.png” to flow behind the content. It was actually quite simple. All I had to do was add a height value to the “header” and it fixed it. Tada! Now, if you look at the box-shadows around the social widget, picture frame, and footer, it goes all the way around. Now, look at the blog post or any of the other pages. The box-shadow only appears on the top and bottom of the selected items. It is something that no one will probably ever notice, but the box-shadows were working fine before I added the new sticky footer method (which actually works, by the way). So, now, all that is left is figuring out why the box-shadow is not appearing on the sides of the selected items. It would make sense if it was being cut off by the 818 pixel set width on the items, but the social widget, picture frame, and footer also have set widths and the box-shadow goes beyond those widths.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.