Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Sticky Footer and Content Problem

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    DrunkenCowboy
    Participant

Alright, so I am having a problem getting the footer to move down when content is longer than the screen. Basically what happens, is if I set the #maincontainer {position:relative} it will work, but the background image for that (paper behind the content) will not go down the whole way on a large monitor. If I set it position:fixed then it will go down, but the content will not push the footer down like it will with relative. I have been working on this for a while and it is frustrating.

It is a sticky footer that works just fine, but I can’t seem to get the background image to go all the way to the footer AND have the text push the footer. It is one or the other. I read a number of forums and posts but none of them helped. Was hoping someone could help…Here is the code:

* {
    margin: 0;
    padding: 0;
    z-index: 0;
    }

body {
    background-image: url(images/bgmain.jpg);
    background-repeat: repeat;
    }
    html,
    body {
    margin:0px;
    padding:0px;
    height:100%;
    overflow-x: hidden;
    }

#wrapper {
    min-height:100%;
    position:relative;
    }

#header {
    height:225px;
    background: url(images/bgheader.png);
    background-repeat: repeat-x;
    position: relative;
    z-index:9999;
    }

#content {
    background: url('images/bgcontent.png') repeat-y scroll 0 0 transparent;
    height: 100%;
    padding-bottom: 85px;
    margin-top: -20px;
    position: relative;
    width: 620px;
    float: right;
    }

#footer {
    width:100%;
    height:85px;
    position:absolute;
    bottom:0;
    left:0;
    background:url(images/bgfooter.png);
    background-repeat: repeat-x;
    clear: both;
    }

#maincontainer {
    width: 980px;
    display: inline-block;
    height: 100%;
    position: fixed;
    left: 50%;
    margin-left: -575px;
    }
    .box {
    width:580px;
    text-align: left;
    padding: 30px 20px
    }

Donec sed odio dui. Nulla vitae elit libero, a pharetra augue. Nullam id dolor id nibh ultricies vehicula ut id elit. Integer posuere erat a ante venenatis dapibus posuere velit aliquet. Duis mollis, est non commodo luctus, nisi erat porttitor ligula, eget lacinia odio sem nec elit. Donec sed odio dui. Nulla vitae elit libero, a pharetra augue. Nullam id dolor id nibh ultricies vehicula ut id elit. Integer posuere erat a ante venenatis dapibus posuere velit aliquet. Duis mollis, est non commodo luctus, nisi erat porttitor ligula, eget lacinia odio sem nec elit. Donec sed odio dui. Nulla vitae elit libero, a pharetra augue. Nullam id dolor id nibh ultricies vehicula ut id elit. Integer posuere erat a ante venenatis dapibus posuere velit aliquet. Duis mollis, est non commodo luctus, nisi erat porttitor ligula, eget lacinia odio sem nec elit. Donec sed odio dui. Nulla vitae elit libero, a pharetra augue. Nullam id dolor id nibh ultricies vehicula ut id elit. Integer posuere erat a ante venenatis dapibus posuere velit aliquet. Duis mollis, est non commodo luctus, nisi erat porttitor ligula, eget lacinia odio sem nec elit.

Donec sed odio dui. Nulla vitae elit libero, a pharetra augue. Nullam id dolor id nibh ultricies vehicula ut id elit. Integer posuere erat a ante venenatis dapibus posuere velit aliquet. Duis mollis, est non commodo luctus, nisi erat porttitor ligula, eget lacinia odio sem nec elit. Donec sed odio dui. Nulla vitae elit libero, a pharetra augue. Nullam id dolor id nibh ultricies vehicula ut id elit. Integer posuere erat a ante venenatis dapibus posuere velit aliquet. Duis mollis, est non commodo luctus, nisi erat porttitor ligula, eget lacinia odio sem nec elit. Donec sed odio dui. Nulla vitae elit libero, a pharetra augue. Nullam id dolor id nibh ultricies vehicula ut id elit. Integer posuere erat a ante venenatis dapibus posuere velit aliquet. Duis mollis, est non commodo luctus, nisi erat porttitor ligula, eget lacinia odio sem nec elit. Donec sed odio dui. Nulla vitae elit libero, a pharetra augue. Nullam id dolor id nibh ultricies vehicula ut id elit. Integer posuere erat a ante venenatis dapibus posuere velit aliquet. Duis mollis, est non commodo luctus, nisi erat porttitor ligula, eget lacinia odio sem nec elit.

DrunkenCowboy
    Participant

Looks like no one can help?

Paulie_D

I’m not seeing a closing div tag for the wrapper.

You probably don’t need all that positioning that is going on too!

Do you have a link or could you put it on Codepen?

DrunkenCowboy
    Participant

Throwing it in CodePen, I am not too sure how to make all the images function so that you can actually see what is going on. I just put a closing div for the wrapper, accidentally deleted it while messing with stuff. All the positioning may not be needed, that is true hah.

DrunkenCowboy
    Participant

Here is the CodePen link: http://codepen.io/bolwerkm/pen/FdHso
    Unfortunately the CodePen setup looks a little wonky and isn’t what I get on my setup completely. I had to fix the Content div so that it would actually go to the bottom of the screen.

Tried your suggestion Jurotek and it didn’t do anything.

Paulie_D

That menu needs sorting out. Ick!

More later

DrunkenCowboy
    Participant

Right….topic on hand is not the menu. Any ideas about the content moving the footer? Also, the menu will be changing once it is tossed into WP.

DrunkenCowboy
    Participant

Yeah that was the same problem I was having. It seems to be one or the other. Any idea if there is a jquery solution if it can’t be done in CSS?

DrunkenCowboy
    Participant

That still doesn’t seem to work. It isn’t pushing down the footer with more content, and it isn’t filling vertically when there isn’t any content.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.