Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design Standard grid system with wildly varying content

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    jgonyer1
    Participant

I work for a company that has a variety of web based tools used by banking consultants. When I came in, I was tasked with redesigning the client site to have all of the tools in one “hub”. I want to “responsive-ize” this as much as possible and I would love to set up a standard css framework for the development staff to work in but I have a major roadblock.

Content in some of these tools requres the browser width on my 2560×1440 monitor, while other content fits perfectly in the standard content width container.

I feel that varying the container width too much between tools, and even between segments of a single tool, would create a very jarring user experience but I don’t think I have much of a choice.

Should I just have the standard container width just be huge? Or should I expand and shrink my container as necessary?

Any tips would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Paulie_D

If it’s responsive you should be working in % widths anyway so there is no ‘standard’.

That’s the point of responsive design….it adapts to viewport sizes.

Now % widths will only get you so far, that’s where breakpoints come in.

I would love to set up a standard css framework for the development staff to work in

That’s fine…but there are a whole bunch of framworks already out there (Bootstrap, Foundation, Blueprint(?) just to name a couple).

I would take a look at those before re-inventing the wheel…you could save yourself a shipload of time and effort.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.