Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other ssd troubles with windows 7.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    cybershot
    Participant

My SSD is full. I can’t install any more programs so I bought a 500 gb Samsung SSD. I went to install it and use the imaging software that it came with to transfer my operating system and all files over. It said it was successful and to remove the old C: drive and start using the new one. when I did that and tried to boot my computer, windows gave me an error message saying that it couldn’t find the boot manager. Seems it wasn’t successful after all. Now, when I plug in my old drive, windows starts up but the new drive doesn’t get recognized. Sometimes it does and sometimes not. It shows up in the bios and in the device manager but when I go to “My Computer”, the drive isn’t listed. Last night it was listed as G: and then just disapeared.

Anyone got any ideas? I am running windows 7. I was going to try using Windows 7 to create a system image on the drive to swap things over. Can’t do that if I can’t get it to show up on my computer.

Alen
    Participant

Whenever I swap drives, I never clone disks. What I do is take the old drive out, install new one and do clean install. Then I plug the old drive into external docking station ( ~$20 on NewEgg) or as a second internal disk, then just transfer files over.

It shows up in the bios and in the device manager but when I go to “My Computer”, the drive isn’t listed.

Drive is most likely not formatted correctly.

Open Disk Management, right click on the drive and format it.

**** make sure to back up any data ****

cybershot
    Participant

Usually that only works to transfer files. I want to transfer programs also and you can’t do that the way you are talking about

Alen
    Participant

I know. But I prefer clean install.

cybershot
    Participant

I do as well but that would completely defeat the purpose of what I was trying to do.

TheDoc

I’d recommend against using the software that came with your drive. There are professional tools out there (unfortunately I only know Mac ones).

cybershot
    Participant

I got it to work. I had to format the drive first. I thought the program would do that when I cloned it but it didn’t. So I hooked it up, did some fancy windows 7 crap to format it because it wouldn’t show up in my computer. Once I got it formatted, the cloning worked fine.

Alen
    Participant

…that would completely defeat the purpose of what I was trying to do.

I’m not telling you to do it my way… I’m giving you a perspective, opinion, the way I do things. You don’t have to take things literally. Mold them to fit what you are trying to do. There is no right or wrong.

I’m glad you solved the issue.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.