Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Someone copied a website I made. Advice?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    stella_geo
    Participant

I’ve made a website long ago for a client. I continue to work with the client, making updates, print designs etc. Today I found out that a partner or friend of my client copied the website in another domain, basically the code and the design (and also some products but this is between them I quess). The guy even copied my Google Analytics Tracking ID. I’m pissed! Any advice?

Alen
    Participant

Find who is the hosting provider, and send them DMCA takedown notice.

Read more about it here: https://nppa.org/page/5617

Alen
    Participant

Also, open up the page in question and start taking screenshots of all the things that were copied.

stella_geo
    Participant

thanks for the reply…
    Neither me or my client or his partner/friend/whatever or hosting provider are in US.
    So, I quess there is no hope with DMCA.

I already contacted their hosting company asking if they can do anything about it but I don’t think that there will be a solution. It’s mostly ethical not legal.

Alen
    Participant

That sucks.

You could try just talking to them nicely and state your concerns. Don’t play the blame game, or be confrontational.

Good luck.

stella_geo
    Participant

I guess you are right …

stella_geo
    Participant

not the case exactly… I really can’t be flattered
    the design it’s nothing special, and the copied website has serious problems (more than 50% broken links, bad images etc).

As I said before, it’s an ethical issue for me. And I could never work with that person. What’s the point on working with someone that disrespect you ?

Update: the hosting company just contact me to ask for the domain names. Fingers crossed that they might do something

__
    Participant

a partner or friend of my client copied the website in another domain, …

to clarify, did your client authorize this? or are they aware of it, and do they object?

If they don’t object, then there is nothing for you to be upset about.

If they do object, then it’s their problem. If you’d like to handle the takedown requests for them, that’s great (wonderful professional courtesy, on your part), but if it needs to be taken any further, then your client should be hiring a lawyer.

Fingers crossed that they might do something

good luck.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.