Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design Some CSS styles are not working and some are in the same page

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mark
    Participant

I have to sign-up for this because I am now in a state of confusion. From my localhost everything is working well but when I upload it to the host. Some styles are not working and some are okay, this is on the same page.

I ruled out the some hosting and my local settings because by looking at this. It all points out to pure CSS. Don’t know how or why but I will make a simple illustration here.

Localhost: Working

Title
    Details

Online:

Title

<– Working

Details

<– NOT Working

Can somebody help me sort this or anyone who can relate and please give me some ideas? Thank you very much.

Beverleyh
    Participant

Unfortunately, we can’t troubleshoot something we can’t see. If you provide a link to a very simple example page on your hosting account, we can take a look.

Tip: Test the page in a variety of browsers, and on a variety of operating systems and devices, and let us know of any patterns or any noted differences. The issue may be specific to a certain client environment rather than server-side.

Tip: If you’re using external stylesheets linked in the head of web pages, check for matching lettercase in the path, filename, and extension. Windows isn’t case-specific (if your localhost is a home computer running Windows 10 for example), whereas Unix systems are case-sensitive (most web hosts use Unix because it’s free).

Tip: Strip back the test page to something that does work, and something that does as we only need to see a very small example of the issue. This exercise might lead you into working out the problem yourself but it will also make the provided page more manageable for us to look at. A full codebase with lots of HTML and CSS will put people off and you’re less likely to get responses.

Tip: Try transferring a small amount of HTML and CSS to a CodePen and see what happens there. Provide a link to this pen and your page by way of comparison.

Mark
    Participant

Hi Bev, here is a simple illustration. And can’t figure it out why. At code pen it’s working all good but at my hosting when I upload the CSS that right content, the style is not working.

https://codepen.io/JackSparrow1223/pen/BxrjNP

Beverleyh
    Participant

Sorry – we cant tell anything from a CodePen if it works as expected. We’d need to see a page hosted on your own web host. Please see my previous post for criteria and tips.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.