Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS [SOLVED]Width:100% absolute position div except ie6

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    deathtoie

I have a layout that is 1024px except for 1 div that I would like to be 100% width of the browser window – much like the header and footer of this site. I have attached 2 images since I cant post a link – the ie6 image is what is happening that I would like some assistance remedying the other image is how it should look and does look in FF,IE7,Safari,Opera etc.

Here is my Xhtml:

Code:

New Design

Here is my CSS:

Code:
    body
    {
    font-size: 90%;
    font-family: helvetica, georgia, sans-serif;
    line-height: 1.6em;
    text-align: center;
    color: #fff;
    background-color: #686963;
    width:100%;
    margin:0;
    }

div#container{
    width:1024px;
    margin: 0 auto;
    background-color: #fff;
    height:2000px;
    }

div#header{
    background-image: url(../images/header-bg.jpg);
    background-repeat: repeat-x;
    width: 1024px;
    height:100px;

}
    img.logo{
    float:left;
    margin: 5px 0 0 5px;
    }

div#contactBox{
    float:right;
    background: url(../images/contact-drop.jpg) no-repeat;
    width:380px;
    height:50px;
    margin-right: 25px;
    }
    div#tabs{clear:both;}
    div#subnav{
    background-color: #99cc66;
    width: 1024px;
    height: 30px;
    border-bottom: 3px solid #42423f;
    }

div#scroller{
    margin-top:20px;
    background: url(../images/sliderbg.jpg) repeat-x;
    height:250px;
    position: absolute;
    left: 0;
    right: 0;
    width:100%;
    }

The div that I would like to expand 100% of the browser is div#scroller.

Thanks in advance for looking – Please let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks!

apostrophe
    Participant

Is this a spot the difference competition? ‘Cos I’m damned if I tell the two pictures apart.
    I can tell you that #scroller will only be 100% width of its parent div which is #container. If you want it to span the browser window take it out of the container div.

deathtoie

I have tried what you mentioned prior to posting to the forum – it doesnt seem to matter if I set the parent div to 100% or to 1024px inside or outside of a parent div – ie6 returns this everytime – it seems as though the image doesn’t repeat like the other browsers.
    [attachment=1]Picture 2.png[/attachment]

Here is all other browsers and exactly what I want to achieve.
    [attachment=0]all-others-proper-look.png[/attachment]

Thanks for the prompt reply – I see in order to get the image to show more than the given width in the forum – you have to place it inline – thats why the two images looked the same.

Thanks!

apostrophe
    Participant

Still not absolutely sure what your trying to do. A link would be great help.
    I repeat, anything that you want to span the entire browser window cannot be inside a 1024px div. Have you validated your markup? If what you posted is an accurate representation of your page you have an unclosed div in there.

lookslikepat

Maybe this won’t help much, but I came to think of "declaring a width and 100%", and how that isn’t the same thing, if that could be it (sorry I’m just on my way out).
    The box-model will make a div with no width declared as 100% of the browser-window, no matter what padding (and borders? ) you have.
    However, setting it’s width @ 100% AND having padding as well, that will result in width (100%) + X amount of padding. I.e. more than 100%.

I digress, gonna be late. Bye!

deathtoie

Apostrophe – So you are saying if I dont close a div wierd things can happen ? :( Thank you very much – note to self validate your code prior to taking screen shots and wasting others times with pointless posts.

Thanks again! :lol:

LooksLIkePat – thanks for the lesson as well – look forward to utilizing this forum more often great information from those on the board and I will try to not waste anyones time with nonsense like unclosed tags!

thanks again.

apostrophe
    Participant
    Quote:
    Apostrophe – So you are saying if I dont close a div wierd things can happen ?

In a nutshell, yes.
    If you have one less closing div than you have opening divs then the browser has to take a wild guess as to which closing div matches which opening div. It may be obvious to you and me but computers ain’t that smart, especially ones running ie6. :D

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.