Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End [Solved] wp_cycle slideshow plugin

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    barbcpeter
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I recently activated the wp_cycle jQuery plugin by Nathan Rice in order to do a very simple automated slideshow in WordPress.

Got the slideshow up and running just fine, but I can’t seem to style it–I want it centered in my main content area but it won’t budge from a left alignment. Looking at it from Firebug, it seems the position of the slideshow container is set to relative and the slides are positioned absolutely.

The documentation for the plug-in says it can be styled using the div you assign to it. So I tried

Code:
    [wp_cycle]

and styled it with

Code:
    margin: 15px auto 15px auto;

It didn’t budge.

I am not a programmer so I very hesitant to get in and fiddle with the code or the plug-in. Does the absolute positioning throw everything off?
    Help! Many thanks in advance!
    ~Barb

barbcpeter
    Participant

Thanks for your advice, apostrophe.

I have tried that route also and still no results. I’ll give it another try just to make sure I didn’t do it wrong the first time. My question about absolute positioning still stands, however. Doesn’t ab. pos. take each slide out of the normal html flow and make it stay where it’s put, or does the positioning of the container (relative) of the slides(absolutely positioned) allow the slideshow to be centered?

~Barb

barbcpeter
    Participant

Thanks again, apostrophe.

Unfortunately, I’m developing the site locally, so no link to give at this point. However, as background, I am customizing the my-dkret3 child theme for an 890px-wide, no-sidebar site. I’ve been scouring firebug code and still can’t come up with a good reason why the show isn’t centering. If you need me to send you code, give me specifics on what you want and I’ll email you privately (if you don’t mind) all the pertinent info.

I really appreciate your help. I have a lot to learn. Also, btw, I did originally do the

Code:
    margin: 15px auto;

~Barb

apostrophe
    Participant
    "barbcpeter" wrote:
    Also, btw, I did originally do the

Code:

That will only work if you specify a width for whatever it is you are trying to center.

barbcpeter
    Participant

Thanks for your help, apostrophe!

I finally solved the riddle and the answer lay in the plugin’s php file! It was formatting the slideshow and that formatting was overriding anything I put in the style sheet! So I simply changed the plugin code to

Code:

and Voila! a centered slideshow!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.