Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS [Solved] Think I’m going crazy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    kerch

I’m in the final stages of building my very first WordPress Theme from scratch, thanks in part to Chris’ new book (which is awesome by the way). Anyhow, the site xhtml and css validates with no errors, and the site looks like it’s supposed to in Safari and Firefox. When I hop over to my pc, again the site likes fine in Firefox, but there is a problem in IE7 that I just can’t figure out. I’ve been over and over the html and css, but I can’t find the solution.

The site URL is: http://e3strategies.com/wordpress

In IE7, it "appears" that the footer div is collapsing or something because the 1px top border of the footer is appearing at the top of the content (right under the branding/header area). And the navigation in the footer div is showing up in the sidebar at the bottom. I’ve cleared the content div which includes the page/post info and the sidebar, but not working. It’s really tough to troubleshoot because my 2 main tools (CSSedit) only works on a Mac, and I’m only seeing the error on IE, and Firebug which works in Firefox, again not seeing the area. Could someone please be so kind as to take a look and see what I’m missing?

Best Regards,
    tom

JaredAM

It’s probably a float issue. You’re floating your content left in order to accommodate your sidebar, you probably just need to clear that float for your footer.

Just add "clear:both;" to your #footer css.

TheDoc

Interesting. In IE7 it definitely looks like a floating error. I would add a clearing div just before the footer. So:

Code:

and then of course add the clearing class to your CSS file:

Code:
    .clear {
    clear:both;
    }

Other than that, you could probably try adding a width to your Footer, that will definitely make sure it doesn’t bunch up like that in IE7. What else, what else… that should be it I think. Let us know how it goes.

I like the site, by the way. Clean design, easy to follow. The stark difference between the white at the top and the dark blue for content is a little odd to me, but I think it works in the end.

kerch

Thanks Doc and Jared. I am almost certain that I did clear the div, so I took your advice and added a width statement to the footer and BAM. That was it. Kinda weird. Thanks to both for getting me straight on this.

Kerch

TheDoc
    "kerch" wrote:
    Thanks Doc and Jared. I am almost certain that I did clear the div, so I took your advice and added a width statement to the footer and BAM. That was it. Kinda weird. Thanks to both for getting me straight on this.

Kerch

I didn’t see any clears going on, so to be safe you might want to add it as well. But if you’re not seeing any errors anymore, then I suppose all is well.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.