Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End [Solved] Remove irrelevant links from footer.php

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    guirigales

Hello.

I am using a free WP template and the footer contains links to very irrelevant subjects. I have no problem keeping the link to the design site but the others have to go.

When I try and change these links I get an error. The code is not encrypted. I have pasted it below.

Code:

I dont feel the NHS has much to do with the site I am adapting. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to get rid of these links without breaking the theme.

Many thanks

andreacanton
    Participant

Maybe the creator make some tricks in "function.php". Check that file, maybe there is a function that check if there are links in the footer, before rendering file.

guirigales
    "andreacanton" wrote:
    Maybe the creator make some tricks in "function.php". Check that file, maybe there is a function that check if there are links in the footer, before rendering file.

Thanks, Ill take a look. One thing though is that even if you leave the links and add or change slightly something it still comes back with error.

cheers

TheDoc

I would search your entire local site for the url of the link you are trying to delete, check to see if anything is checking to make sure it’s there.

guirigales

I searched the site and couldnt find any refernce to the urls except in the footer itself. I did find this encrypted code in the functions page.

Any ideas?

Code:
    add_action(‘admin_head’, ‘mytheme_admin_head’);
    add_action(‘admin_menu’, ‘mytheme_admin_register’);
    eval(base64_decode(‘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’)); ?>

thanks

guirigales

OK, decoded it…I think. What does all this mean? How can I "switch off" these functions?

Code:
    if (!empty($_REQUEST[“theme_credit”])) {

theme_usage_message(); exit();

}

function theme_usage_message() {

if (empty($_REQUEST[“theme_credit”])) {

$theme_credit_false = get_bloginfo(“url”) . “/index.php?theme_credit=false”;

echo ““; exit();

} else {

$rk_url = get_bloginfo(‘template_directory’);
    $homepage = get_bloginfo(‘home’);

echo (“

“);
    echo (“

Error

“);
    echo (“

Opps..You Have Modified The Footer Links..

“);
    echo (“

This Theme Is Released Free For Use Under Creative Commons Licence. All Links In The Footer Must Remain Intact AS IS. These Links Are All Family Friendly And Will Not Hurt Your Site In Any Way. Please Appreciate These Supporters Effort In Providing You This Great Theme For Free.

“);
    echo (“

Please Follow These Steps To Restore The Footer:

1. Please open the default folder, you’ll find footer.php inside
    2. Copy & paste it to overwrite the current footer.php you’ve modified.
    3. Finally, refresh your page HERE to go back to your homepage.

“);

}

}

function check_theme_footer() {

$l = ‘WordPress Theme By MagPress
    Thanks To NHS Hospital Jobs | NHS Nurse Training | NHS Jobs London‘;

$f = dirname(__file__) . “/footer.php”;

$fd = fopen($f, “r”);

$c = fread($fd, filesize($f));

fclose($fd); if (strpos($c, $l) == 0) {

theme_usage_message();

die;

}

}

check_theme_footer();

if(!function_exists(‘get_sidebar’)) {

function get_sidebar() {

check_theme_header();

get_sidebar();

}
    }

function check_theme_header() {

if (!(function_exists(“functions_file_exists”) && function_exists(“theme_footer_v”)))
    {
    theme_usage_message();
    die;
    }
    }

function functions_file_exists() {

if (!file_exists(dirname(__file__) . “/functions.php”) || !function_exists(“theme_usage_message”) )
    {
    theme_usage_message();
    die;
    }
    }

add_action(‘wp_head’, ‘check_theme_header’);
    add_action(‘wp_head’, ‘functions_file_exists’);

thankyou

TheDoc

Try deleting all of the following and see what happens:

Code:
    if (!empty($_REQUEST[“theme_credit”])) {

theme_usage_message(); exit();

}

function theme_usage_message() {

if (empty($_REQUEST[“theme_credit”])) {

$theme_credit_false = get_bloginfo(“url”) . “/index.php?theme_credit=false”;

echo ““; exit();

} else {

$rk_url = get_bloginfo(‘template_directory’);
    $homepage = get_bloginfo(‘home’);

echo (“

“);
    echo (“

Error

“);
    echo (“

Opps..You Have Modified The Footer Links..

“);
    echo (“

This Theme Is Released Free For Use Under Creative Commons Licence. All Links In The Footer Must Remain Intact AS IS. These Links Are All Family Friendly And Will Not Hurt Your Site In Any Way. Please Appreciate These Supporters Effort In Providing You This Great Theme For Free.

“);
    echo (“

Please Follow These Steps To Restore The Footer:

1. Please open the default folder, you’ll find footer.php inside
    2. Copy & paste it to overwrite the current footer.php you’ve modified.
    3. Finally, refresh your page HERE to go back to your homepage.

“);

}

}

function check_theme_footer() {

$l = ‘WordPress Theme By MagPress
    Thanks To NHS Hospital Jobs | NHS Nurse Training | NHS Jobs London‘;

$f = dirname(__file__) . “/footer.php”;

$fd = fopen($f, “r”);

$c = fread($fd, filesize($f));

fclose($fd); if (strpos($c, $l) == 0) {

theme_usage_message();

die;

}

}

check_theme_footer();

guirigales

I tried deleting what you said and the screen just goes blank when I reload.

TheDoc

Try just removing:

check_theme_footer();

at the bottom.

guirigales

Yes Yes Yes. Thats the one. Thankyou so much that did the trick.

Thanks for all the help you have given me.

Cheers

funkynate

Hello, I’m having problems removing a footer credit link from enlight wordpress theme by MagPress.

Please can help me out…

Warm regards

dhechler

Wow, I’ve seen some tricks used before for crediting a person with a theme, but that is ridiculous. Just shutting down the site and redirecting to an error page if the credit isn’t found seems like a low blow to me.

noahgelman
    Participant
    billybob
    Participant

Hi everyone, As others mentioned, I am also trying to get rid of irrelevant links at the bottom in the footer in a WP template. I’m ok with a legit credit but this is nonsense and irrelevant to my content. I’m generally pretty good with HTML, CSS, Java, etc, but admittedly still on the learning curve with PHP functions. When I remove the garbage links at the bottom, it deactivates the site (with a message saying don’t do that).

Can somebody please tell me which part of the function.php code I need to cut or change in order to remove the garbage links in the footer.php file?

Thanks for your help (email: exercisephysio [AT] g-m-a-i-l.c0m)

Codes follow (I have deactivated the links)

FOOTER.PHP CODE

// Warning! Your site may stop working if these links are edited or deleted ?>