Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS [Solved] Overflow Problem

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    cre8tive1

Hi all,

I’m working on a project trying to slowly fix a site that we very poorly designed. It has a mix of everything, tables, style sheets, inline styles, you name it.

I’m trying to clean things up piece by piece. I’ve added a new group of products and everything is working well except for the fact that when the product content is longer than the Left column I get an overflow problem as seen on this page. http://dev.exitlightco.com/product/KD-KN-COSM-IB.html

I’ve been trying to find the error but can’t seem to put my finger on it.

Can anyone help me spot what I’m missing?

Thanks,

jr

cybershot
    Participant

This is a tough one

noahgelman
    Participant

Found it. Easy Peasy ;)
    elc-new-style.css, line 21, #feature-column, you have both a float and a position:absolute. Get rid of the position:absolute and you’re good as gold.

cybershot
    Participant

good find.

TheDoc

Nice find, Noah. I gave it a quick look and didn’t see anything and quickly gave up haha.

noahgelman
    Participant

lol, come on Doc, you can’t give up so easily, your a mod, people rely on you

cre8tive1

Thanks for the keen eye Noah. That change worked.

jr

cre8tive1

Hi all,

I have another page with an overflow problem. There are a good deal of floats on this page, from the initial developers, which I think are causing me headaches. I can’t seem to find the bug. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://dev.exitlightco.com

noahgelman
    Participant

Whoever built this site, punch him in the face.

Remove the position absolute on the #left-home-column (elc-new-style.css, line 27). And remove the “div { clear:both;}” from css_ELC_all.css

By the way, in your header, your linking to the css_ELC_all.css twice. Remove one.

cybershot
    Participant

I agree with you, punch him in the face. I also wonder why the stylesheet is linked twice. This is a major no no.

cre8tive1

Thanks for the tips. Inheriting these quirky sites is aging me rapidly.

Now I have one last DIV wigging out…

cre8tive1

Ah, fixed it. Another “float” that didn’t need to be there.

Thanks to all.

noahgelman
    Participant

Quite welcome. Luckily I haven’t been in a position yet where I have to inherit an older site that I have to alter. I did have to rebuild an older site (lots of tables and bad styling) from scratch into semantic code.

cybershot
    Participant

hey, also run your code through the validator. that will help you find and fix a lot of errors. When I was checking out your last problem, I found that there is a mispelled word. They were going for border but ended up spelling boder.

http://validator.w3.org/

using the validator is one thing you could do as a first step to finding any error

cre8tive1

Cool. Thanks for the tip! I will add this into my arsenal of tools.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.