Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS [Solved] IE7 Layout – Sidebar Floats Too Far Right

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    dryan1144

Hi there folks, I’m building a site and it everything is looking pretty good in FF Chrome etc.

Live link : http://bepeace.org/test/index.html

IE 7 is giving me two issues:
    1. Sidebar is floating way out to the right creating a horizontal scroll. not sure why its not respecting the width of the page-wrap that it is included in
    2. Footer lifts up off the page This is surely because of the negative positioning i used on the footer navigation. to clarify:
    i have a footer div with width set to 100% to get a solid background color, then i placed a div over that with my gradient background image. Then i used negative relative positiong to bring the footer-nav up over the background image.

Any help will be much appreciated as usual.
    Cheers

AshtonSanders
    Participant

Hi, first a fix, then some notes.

1) Change you #sidebar to be "margin:0" and add "right:0;"
    2) Delete the #footer-burst element and add the background image straight to the Footer div:
    background: #9B9F9F url(burst.png) no-repeat 420px 0;
    You’ll also need to fiddle with some other footer elements to get them back in the box.

Let’s look at this real quick:

Code:
    #sidebar {
    float:right;
    margin:0 0 0 650px;
    padding:0;
    position:absolute;
    top:235px;
    width:260px;
    }

The main note is that Float:right won’t affect a position:absolute (or relative).
    If you are using position: absolute, USE IT to position the element. Use Left, right, top, and bottom; Don’t use margin, padding or float.

Hope that helps.

dryan1144

I never thanked you for your reply. Much appreciated!

AshtonSanders
    Participant

Haha. You’re welcome. Glad it worked. [img]http://www.websitesinaflash.com/images/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.