Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End [Solved] How can I insert Line breaks in a textarea output?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    noahgelman
    Participant

Using Theme Options panel in WP to insert content. Here is the array that builds the option:

$options[] = array( "name" => "Footer Right Content",
    "desc" => "",
    "id" => $shortname."_footer-right-content",
    "type" => "textarea");

That gives me a textarea option on the Theme Options panel to insert content, and that’s all fine and dandy, except that the output is in one paragraph so there’s no line breaks. I need to either create the line breaks or split it up into separate paragraphs. How would I do this?

TheLeggett

The wpautop() function might be what you’re looking for: http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wpautop

noahgelman
    Participant

That’s exactly what I need. However, I’m having trouble inserting the string. My php isn’t so good so I’m screwing up the syntax

Here’s the echo that generates the string.

How can I plug this in to the wpautop()?

TheLeggett

I haven’t actually used WordPress Theme options before, so this is just a guess. Hopefully someone corrects me here if I’m wrong.

I would assume something like this would work:

Or…

$foo = get_option('vn_footer-right-content');
    echo wpautop($foo);
    ?>

noahgelman
    Participant

The second one worked perfectly. I believe the problem with the first one was that the string wasn’t echoed out first and wpautop() must take a string, not a variable. I think so at least, my php isn’t as good as yours clearly. Thank you for your help :)

nizamkazi
    Participant

I believe that simpler way it to add white-space: pre-wrap; in to css set of element which is displaying the result.

And it will start reflecting line-break where you had pressed “Enter” while typing into textarea.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.