Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS [Solved] Horizontal Scroll Bars

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Will_Powered

Hey Guys,

I’m in the process of polishing up a website we’ve recently launched, and I’ve noticed a problem on smaller resolution screens – particularly 1024 x 768.

http://homemastergroup.com

I set up the site with absolute positioned, centered elements, with negative left and right margins. Then I placed them inside a container that was set to 100% width with overflow set to hidden. This should have made sure no element stretched past the width of the screen – if they did the part of the offending element should have been “hidden”.

The goal was to have the image at the top (and soft lighting below) stretch to fill up to 1200 width screens, but then have a soft edge if viewing the site on a monitor with a larger setting.

Simply adding a body background wasn’t enough, because the pages are all different lengths and the edge needs to extend downward to match the content without extending the picture at the top downward.

virtual
    Participant

overflow-x: hidden; on the body tag

Will_Powered

That worked flawlessly. I had no idea you could attach x and y values to the overflow attribute.

Thank you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.