The Lodge is members-only design/dev videos and Office Hours.

Next Office Hours Session: "Implementing an SVG Icon System" Nov 30 - 6:00 PM Eastern

[Solved] $(document).width() giving wrong value on refresh in Chrome

• # November 21, 2012 at 5:52 pm

$(document).width() gives the proper width when I load the page. But when I refresh in Chome, it includes the width for the scrollbar and I’m not sure why. I’ve tried writing it a couple different ways but it keeps happening. Any ideas?

# November 21, 2012 at 6:24 pm

This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

I can’t replicate that. Do you have a test case for us?

# November 21, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Not at the current moment. Perhaps is has to do with a couple divs just inside the body with a width of 100%.

# November 21, 2012 at 7:12 pm

I’m not sure if this is relevant, but does forcing the scroll bar to always show work (html { overflow-y: scroll; })?

# November 21, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Ooooooh, very good idea. That worked.

I’m thinking what happened was the 100% elements was tricking my js to calculating the width before the scrollbars appear.

This made me realize the real issue. I had forgot to wrap my js in $(document).ready() so it was grabbing it before it was loaded (and before the scrollbars existed)

Thanks for the help

EDIT: $(document).ready() didn’t stop the issue, so I guess I use overflow then. Unfavorable, but it’s okay.

# November 21, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Yeah, I’m not really able to tell without being able to poke around the code, but at least that seems to be fixing it!

# November 21, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Interesting. Definitely keep it inside of doc.ready(), but maybe try using `$(document.body)` to calculate your width?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

There's a whole bunch of content on CSS-Tricks.

Search for Stuff   •   Browse the Archives

Get the Newsletter ... or get the RSS feed