Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS [Solved] CSS Cleanup

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Michael

Hi all,

sometimes I add a lot of classes to my css files and then end up not using all of them. I then manually go throug the lines and look for classes that I remember not using.

I was just thinking, is there a tool where I can just enter my website adress and the css file and it checks which classes are used and which are not? A quick google search only brought up a loot of tools that help formatting the code, what is not my problem.

Towers

I used to know of a website that did this, but looking back through some things, all I can find are things that automatically tab it for aesthetics or remove line breaks, etc.

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

I’m straining my brain trying to think of a site that did this too, but I just can’t seem to remember!

There might be a "manual" solution. For any class that you think you don’t need any more, go in and add something like "border: 10px solid red;". Then go refresh your page. I think you’ll see if you are using it or not ;) . Make sure you check all pages that the CSS files is applied to. If nothing has a giant red border, delete that class and move on to the next.

Michael

thanks to you guys… Well if someone finds a solution for this, please let me know! Chris’ solution could be a bit stressful on a 1000-line css file. (which seems wrong in the first place but still exists…)

Maybe I have time one day to code a tool like that myself. Maybe! :D

(Btw: I didn’t get a mail for your replies, maybe it got caught by my gmail spam filter? I ticked the box "notify me when a reply posted…)

dag
    "Michael" wrote:
    …formatting the code, what is not my problem…

Hi Michael, I may not have understood your problem, but I believe that code beautifier could be useful.

PS: Sorry if I do not write good, but I am Italian and I do not write well in English

Michael
    "dag" wrote:
    "Michael" wrote:
    …formatting the code, what is not my problem…

Hi Michael, I may not have understood your problem, but I believe that code beautifier could be useful.

PS: Sorry if I do not write good, but I am Italian and I do not write well in English

Hi Dag and Greetings to Italy. I am actually from Germany, so aaalmost a neighbour ;-)

Thanks for the link but that is not really what I am looking for. Something like that but with the possibility to give the tool a web page and then have it checked for which css classes are never referenced. (Kind of like a garbage collector for css)

xjosie729

I remember using a firefox add-on that searched for unused CSS classes, but since I rarely used it, I removed it and now I don’t remember the name.

Michael
    "Edwin" wrote:

Awesome! thanks a lot, I will check that one out, but it sounds like the one thing I was looking for. Thanks!

odoturgeon

Thank you for helping guys… This is something for a newbie in CSS like me… looking forward to new tips and tricks from you. Thanks Guys! :D

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.