Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End [Solved] Cascading Combo Boxes – Help Needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    melvinw

Hi All,

My name is Melvin, I’m new to the forums here and I thought I’d introduce myself and ask pose a problem I’m having right now. I am a 17 year old web designer from Nevada. Just getting off the ground, really. I’ve been following CSS-Tricks for years now, and have learned tons of techniques from Chris.

I’m attempting to build a “configurator” type thing similar to the one found here: http://www.crucial.com/index.aspx

I’ve done a few experiments of my own, and Googled around for things anything about “cascading combo boxes”, but I’m getting nowhere with them, really. Does anybody have any insight or even a resource they could point me to that could make this technique clearer?

Thanks a ton

TheDoc

Hey there Melvin, welcome to the forums.

If you could perhaps clarify exactly what you mean by ‘cascading combo boxes’ I might be better suited to help you! If you could perhaps link to your own working sample or highlight the area which you are referring to on the Crucial website.

It might just be me, but I have no idea what you’re talking about! :)

melvinw

Sure thing, Doc. I’m looking to recreate the “Crucial Memory Advisor Tool” in the upper portion of the site.

TheDoc

Ah yes. So that’s done probably using a number of languages. In Crucial’s case, the form itself is probably built using .NET (note the .aspx in the URL) and the filtered selections coming up in Steps 2 and 3 are probably doing using AJAX (because the page doesn’t reload).

Having said that, they could be doing something completely different than that, the options are rather open ended.

This little tutorial might make things a bit clearer:

http://www.99points.info/2010/06/ajax-tutorial-dynamic-loading-of-combobox-using-jquery-and-ajax-in-php/

melvinw

That is, indeed, exactly what I need. Thank you very much, Doc.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.